i need an answer, please help

Associate
Im working at overclockers so helping me out can be favorable, anyway, ive been reading about overclocking for about a week now and there is just a couple of questions.

1. multipy, I asked one of the lads that I work with about it and he said the newbie thread was old and you could only change the multiplier on old chips with a lead pencil and you cant do that on new ones, so I was wondering how come you guys are changing yours, do you use a pencil, or is it in the bios, does it say MULTIPIER and you can adjust it up and down

2. im going to buy a board from work for a 3800 venice ive got, not sure which to get as I read about asus boards not going above 2.7ghz on 3700 because of the FSB, would the dfi board be better then.

cheers very much for your help

give us a call if you need anything, just ask for Lee
I NEED THE SALES

Associate
Lee, if you can talk me into buying computer before socket M2 comes out then you've got yourself a £2500 sale :p

i'm definatly going for a DFI lanparty board simply because they look cool and are specificaly designed for overclocking which means better voltage ranges and tweeks and little things in the bios to make things simpler (just dont get a gigabyte one, they all suck)

Associate
For overclocking the DFI boards are a dream to work with. I don't know how I ever lived without mine.

The pencil unlocking trick is only with the Barton and Tbred chips. :)

Associate
There have been cases when people have accidentally unlocked their A64 and Opteron chips (have a search for Jokester's thread on here, and there quite a few over at XS). However it has always been purely accidental. It would appear that the switching of CPUs is what does it, and when the cmos is reset the chip is locked again.

So far, no way of hardmodding an unlock on the A64s has been found.

Associate
On A64s, Opterons and X2s you can change the multiplier in the bios yes, however it is only unlocked downwards.

The FX series have fully unlocked multis.

Back
Top Bottom