I need help

Associate
so my pc has started playing up. it will randomly turn off usually when im playing a game and wont turn back on again. i have to unplug it and leave it for 10-15 minuets before it will turn back on and sends me to bios. i have checked temps on cpu and gpu and they are not over heating at all. i have bought a new psu 750W 80 gold thinking it must be to do with the power but that hasn't sorted it. i just dont know where to go from here and dont want to be buying more parts i dont need.

i5 11400
3060TI
Asus prime B450M
16 Ram
AIO cooler
750W PSU

Commissario
The symptoms scream overheating to me, especially the 5-10 minutes before it will restart and the fact a replacement psu hasn't fixed it.
How are you monitoring the temperature?
IIRC some monitoring tools don't cover as much as others, so might be missing something like the GPU overheating.

I'd be tempted to try and check the temperatures of various bits if need by by touch in case something is getting hot that isn't monitored, and visually ensure that all the fans are spinning up.
As has been said it's probably also worth reseating the ram and videocard etc, it would not be the first time a part has been very slightly loose and as it's heated up it's shifted very slightly (it's not common these days due to the retention mechanisms, but can still happen, especially if retention clip is not pushed fully home, or a card isn't fully seated at one end).

I doubt it's the case given the specs, but if you are using a ps2 keyboard or mouse swap them out, I spent weeks and at least two complete rebuilds trying to fix a random crash that turned out to be a dodgy cable on an intellimouse explorer (ps2 connection rather than usb), when the mouse moved in certain ways a break in the cable lost contact and the PC froze because at the time anything that interrupted the PS2 connections caused the system to lock.

Soldato
it sounds like temps to me

backup any important data

post screenshots of temp monitoring (use hwmonitor)

test with the case side panel removed to see what difference it makes

check that case fans are spinning and dust filters hoovered and case not full of dust

think about if you've made any changes recently

try a clean windows install, helps us to assume you don't have weird stuff installed

photos of the system might turn out to be useful

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help on this one.. so I have had a look at Temps and its looks like the second the GPU get to 60 degrees it turns off instantly. I thought that was quite a safe temp for a gpu is it not?

Associate
so my pc has started playing up. it will randomly turn off usually when im playing a game and wont turn back on again. i have to unplug it and leave it for 10-15 minuets before it will turn back on and sends me to bios. i have checked temps on cpu and gpu and they are not over heating at all. i have bought a new psu 750W 80 gold thinking it must be to do with the power but that hasn't sorted it. i just dont know where to go from here and dont want to be buying more parts i dont need.

i5 11400
3060TI
Asus prime B450M
16 Ram
AIO cooler
750W PSU

i had that problm when my motherboard was useless

Associate
OP
The symptoms scream overheating to me, especially the 5-10 minutes before it will restart and the fact a replacement psu hasn't fixed it.
How are you monitoring the temperature?
IIRC some monitoring tools don't cover as much as others, so might be missing something like the GPU overheating.

I'd be tempted to try and check the temperatures of various bits if need by by touch in case something is getting hot that isn't monitored, and visually ensure that all the fans are spinning up.
As has been said it's probably also worth reseating the ram and videocard etc, it would not be the first time a part has been very slightly loose and as it's heated up it's shifted very slightly (it's not common these days due to the retention mechanisms, but can still happen, especially if retention clip is not pushed fully home, or a card isn't fully seated at one end).

I doubt it's the case given the specs, but if you are using a ps2 keyboard or mouse swap them out, I spent weeks and at least two complete rebuilds trying to fix a random crash that turned out to be a dodgy cable on an intellimouse explorer (ps2 connection rather than usb), when the mouse moved in certain ways a break in the cable lost contact and the PC froze because at the time anything that interrupted the PS2 connections caused the system to lock.
I have had a look at the temps and it look like its shutting down when the GPU gets to band on 60 degrees which im guessing is still an ok temp for it to run at, now the bit i dont understand is when it dose shut down if i just leave it to cool even over night it wont turn back on. i have to turn the PSU off for 5-10 min before it will work.

Associate
GPU temp is a "red herring" here. Both GPUs and CPUs will first throttle clocks at a threshold (which is a lot more that 60C), and only if that does not work (meaning that there must be something wrong with the cooling) will they shutdown at a slightly higher temperature. What is the CPU temp when it shuts down? Also check the event log for entries just before shutdown - there may be a clue.

Associate
OP
Quick update on this. I got annoyed by this so ordered a new motherboard and processor. Now with a little upgrade the gpu will only just! get to 60 degrees and no more shut downs so I'm guessing it was the motherboard. Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Back
Top Bottom