I never got around to upgrading in 2019 - new build advice please

Associate
OP
You should still update the bios. AM5 is still a maturing platform and every bios release includes the latest Agesa which can improve performance, sometimes substantially like the one released a couple of months ago that improved memory speeds by a big amount. On top of that there are also compatibility fixes and security fixes so it's always worth keeping the bios up to date. There is also a firmware update for the onboard audio of your selected board.
Ok, thank you.

Would you normally update the bios soon after finishing the build, or do you do it before finishing (flashing the bios on the motherboard before adding CPU, ram etc?)

Soldato
If you’re willing to overlook the higher power draw then Intels 13900k performs similarly or slightly better than a 7950X.

Associate
OP
If you’re willing to overlook the higher power draw then Intels 13900k performs similarly or slightly better than a 7950X.
Ok, thank you. I haven't considered looking at Intel mainly because I was impressed with my son's Ryzen setup, which has been very good

Man of Honour
With the Asus board (or any board), would I need to update the bios prior to adding the CPU? Some of the negivity I saw was to do with a "beta" bios they released that invalidated your warranty if used
If you want the official fixes, you should check when you receive the board that it has the BIOS which contains them. Asus have pulled those beta bios disclaimers and I suspect they no longer ship boards with the old BIOS.

As for the merit (or otherwise) of the fixes, I can't say.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you want the official fixes, you should check when you receive the board that it has the BIOS which contains them. Asus have pulled those beta bios disclaimers and I suspect they no longer ship boards with the old BIOS.

As for the merit (or otherwise) of the fixes, I can't say.
Ok, thank you.

Soldato
This build will be for CAD and 3D modelling / rendering,

AMD have just launched their Threadripper 7000 CPUs so if you need a large number of CPU cores or a large amount (> 64GB) of RAM then they may be worth considering.

Do the applications you use benefit from GPU acceleration?

Associate
OP
AMD have just launched their Threadripper 7000 CPUs so if you need a large number of CPU cores or a large amount (> 64GB) of RAM then they may be worth considering.

Do the applications you use benefit from GPU acceleration?
I had a look at the Threadrippers on overclockers, but they were out of my budget.

Cinema 4D would be the only software that would benefit I think, it can do GPU rendering and of course the viewport would be smother with a good GPU. Which would also apply to cad, but not the rendering. Unfortunately you have to buy the GPU rendering pack for cinema as an add on, I don't think my version has it?

you mentioned the RAM, I have been wondering about that. Whether just to max out the board at 128gb so I don't have to worry about future upgrades. Or just go with half at 64gb and then have hassle of trying to match the RGB type of ram years later (which is not that important I suppose, but looks nice!!)

is 128gb too much? Is it beyond what windows can recognise?

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
It was for AM5, this is an old video:

I think things have improved since then.

Windows doesn't care.
That was an interesting video, thank you for the link. 128gb is probably way more than I need with the risk of problems. But I'm slightly worried about AM5 and that I don't think I have the technical expertise to sort out problems, I've seen quite a bit of negativity for it. I am wondering if I should go with am4 instead

Associate
OP
AM4 is a now obsolete platform; AMD has moved to AM5.
I know, not sure what to do now. Perhaps pick the parts and post back on here to see if it's all ok.

I've just read that the boot up times are terrible with am5, is this true? Out of all things I would be looking for a fast boot. Currently I can turn in my windows 7 pc and it takes sone time, my son's Ryzen is pretty much instant.

Man of Honour
That was an interesting video, thank you for the link. 128gb is probably way more than I need with the risk of problems. But I'm slightly worried about AM5 and that I don't think I have the technical expertise to sort out problems, I've seen quite a bit of negativity for it. I am wondering if I should go with am4 instead
The difference can be pretty large for productivity/workstation type usage, see here:

I've just read that the boot up times are terrible with am5, is this true? Out of all things I would be looking for a fast boot. Currently I can turn in my windows 7 pc and it takes sone time, my son's Ryzen is pretty much instant.
Boot times: @ 18:30. This is the last time I saw it recorded in a review, but be aware this is with immature bios, AMD make a lot of improvements over time.

This is an updated video of AM5 with 192GB (based on the 'new' 24/48GB modules):

Soldato
I've just read that the boot up times are terrible with am5, is this true?

This is widely reported but only applies to the first boot when the BIOS is sorting itself out and is apparently to do with RAM training. Subsequent boots do not have this issue. I have an AM5 system to my immediate left and boots are normal speed.

Associate
OP
This is widely reported but only applies to the first boot when the BIOS is sorting itself out and is apparently to do with RAM training. Subsequent boots do not have this issue. I have an AM5 system to my immediate left and boots are normal speed.
I did see some videos about ram training and first boot. But I wasn't sure if it's the very first time after the build or every time you turn the pc off? My pc is never on when not in use, so will that mean I could get a slow boot on AM5 if I fully power off?

How long is your boot time please?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just timed my i7 windows 7 boot to desktop, which since adding a Logitech keyboard / mouse with Logitech G hub has greatly increased boot times:

:eek:

To desktop = 1min 49sec
When USB device connection sounds for keyboard and mouse = 2min 22sec

The mouse is sluggish to move until the USB sound, after that all OK

So, i am guessing any new build, even with its issues will be massively better than my current set up

Soldato
I did see some videos about ram training and first boot. But I wasn't sure if it's the very first time after the build or every time you turn the pc off? My pc is never on when not in use, so will that mean I could get a slow boot on AM5 if I fully power off?

How long is your boot time please?
I'm not at home right now but it's a matter of seconds.

Man of Honour
Just timed my i7 windows 7 boot to desktop, which since adding a Logitech keyboard / mouse with Logitech G hub has greatly increased boot times:

:eek:

To desktop = 1min 49sec
When USB device connection sounds for keyboard and mouse = 2min 22sec

The mouse is sluggish to move until the USB sound, after that all OK

So, i am guessing any new build, even with its issues will be massively better than my current set up
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you only boot your PC up once a day?

Seeing as your main usage is presumably very heavy stuff, isn't cutting your processing, rendering(, etc) times by literally hours going to be worth more to you than making a cup of tea once a day?

Associate
OP
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you only boot your PC up once a day?

Seeing as your main usage is presumably very heavy stuff, isn't cutting your processing, rendering(, etc) times by literally hours going to be worth more to you than making a cup of tea once a day?
Yes, only turn the pc on in the evenings, it's not on permanently, only when I use it. The weekend is when it's used the most when I have more time. As for rendering, mine aren't that good, so not long!

Associate
OP
Thank you for your help, it's been really good - I have a parts list and will post after I have decided on the OS version;

I have a question about windows 10 / 11 please;

The software I want to use are as follows, but they are old

Cinema 4D R11 (for 3D)
Required Windows XP I think?
Installed on W7 64 bit

Draft sight R4 (for CAD)
Recommended Windows 7 / 8 64 bit
Installed on W7 64 bit

Do you know if these will install on either version of Windows, if you use them and do they run fine? In compatibility mode?

I own the perpetual license for C4D R11, but for a new licence of the latest C4D will make the PC build far too high. So I was hoping my version would install and run without any problems?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom