I think I need better cooling!

Soldato
I spent most of yesterday having a play with my new CPU and I've managed to ramp it up to 3.6ghz without too much fuss. Not properly stability tested it yet but it's running games fine so that'll do me for now. I also tried running some pretty beastly clock on my graphics. I got both cards up to 860/1300. Booted up the Crysis benchmark and it flew through the first cycle. Sadly half way through the second I think heat got the better of them and it ground to a halt before locking up. I tried to touch the back of the cards and got burnt. Obviously the cards are willing to run at that speed, they just can't cope with the temps (~90C). Are there any decent 3870 coolers or cooling systems out there that will run with Crossfire?

Soldato
Just a thought but try using something like rivatuner or ati tool to manually increase both card's fan speed to 100%; as they are heavily overclocked. If that doesn't doesn't work then it might be time for some water cooling (assuming that stuff like the Accelero range are too big)

Soldato
I had a couple of HIS 3870s...they'd overheat and lock up whatever I did to them. Eventually I realised that the fan control in the video bios was screwed and wasn't adjusting the fan speeds properly. A lot of other people had this problem. I flashed them both with an updated Sapphire bios and they were sweet.

Sold them a month later though, cba with them refusing to run games after I resumed from hibernation.

Back
Top Bottom