I think it's time to drive...

Soldato
Just having a chat with my collegue (as the more I think about it, the more excited I get hehe) and apparently my thought for a first car is stupid???

I want a old school Mini, possibly a mini clubman, would not spend more than £1500 on it... As my best mate is mini mad so would help with every problem I have and being very mechanical minded my self, I'm sure I could service it as lets face it... A old mini is nothing fancy lol.

Are they cheap to insure?

ags

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choose/#

use that to look at insurance groups for cars. great help when picking a car.

Steveng

Soldato
I have a serious phobia, the thought of controlling something that weighs well over a ton is scarey and being cased inside a metal cocoon... CREEPY!

LOL. People are usually afraid of being on a motorbike because they don't have the security of a big metal box around them. :D

When I learnt to drive, many, many, many years ago I paid £7/lesson.
My bike test was easy too. A couple of times around the block and don't run over the examiner when he jumps out for the emergency stop. :p

Soldato
OP
I know, I'm a strange one :D

I think it's cos I have been round bikes all my life plus I know if I come off at 80, I roll along (have had 2 accidents over 80mph) yet in a car, if that loses control, I have no option but to sit there and hope for dear life...

A bike... jump off, take a few bumps and knocks, let the money you spent do its job, helmet + leathers + boots + gloves will keep you save enough.

ags

Soldato
A bike... jump off, take a few bumps and knocks, let the money you spent do its job, helmet + leathers + boots + gloves will keep you save enough.

And your buying a mini? Seriously, they're nice cars but compared to a more modern car they're a death trap.

Soldato
Local indies are way better than companies if you find a good one, the guy i learned with i passed after 18-20 hours (can't remember exactly), £20 an hour or £18 if you book 10 at a time. Find a decent indie.

Most of the guys i know who went with bsm etc. Paid over the odds for lessons and took 30+ lessons to pass, a fair few transfered to indies halfway through.

Don't just go with the cheapest one though, get a decent instructor else it's a false economy, less lessons required = less money spent.

Associate
You have to do the car theory, yes. Having your bike licence should help, having my car licence when I went on to get my bike provisional a few months back, has made riding easy for me, because I know what the roads and people are like.

Not if he passed his bike test before 2001 he does'nt
only have to do the theory car test if he passed a bike test after that date ;)

Back
Top Bottom