• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I think watch dogs just killed my 780 ti

Associate
I spent most of yesterday night upgrading my PC with 780 ti sli, waterblocks and the rest of my loop and was looking forward to play watch dogs this morning, which i managed to get a good couple of hours gaming before computer crashed and restarted… now one of the cards seems like its not working anymore, its not found on nvidia control panel, precision x or gpuz, it only finds the other 780 ti.
I've tried reinstalling drivers, cleared cmos… i'm not sure what else i can do to test it… i'm dreading taking it apart especially only doing last night :( any suggestion i can try before i taking this step?

Thanks.

Soldato
Is there enough slack in your tubing (assuming you aren't using solid) that youcan remove the cards and re-seat them?

That would be my first port of call.

This has given me a fright, given I am planning on doing the same in a few weeks once I get my blocks and get time to strip down my current loop.

Good luck with getting it sorted mate.

Associate
OP
Just tried reseating the gpu and still not being recognised. No windows error, device manager only recognises the other working 780 ti.
I doubt it could be heat issue, i was monitoring the temperatures whilst playing watch dogs and it stays below 40C.
I was benchmarking using 3DMark fire strike/extreme and did some gaming last night and no problems...

Soldato
It is a complex electronic component. The likelihood is Watch Dogs had nothing to do with it and could simply have been a defect that the card left the factory with and simply stressing it over time may have caused a failure. There is also a chance you may have damaged something whilst installing the block, but if you were careful then that is doubtful also.

What brand is your card incidentally?

Associate
OP
i know i really shouldn't be blaming watch dogs, i know chances are it has nothing to do with it, just find it ironic that i planned upgrade for watch dogs and was really looking forward the game and spending hours redoing my pc ready for launch of the game and then today only managed to play a few hours and then came home to play again and then one card dies?…

The cards i brought from overclockers, 780 ti HOF.
I am quite experienced with watercooling gpu's 6990, 680 lightnings sli, titan... so i am confident in what i am doing… come to think of it i've never had any problems with any components before nor have i had to return/repair anything…

I've tested both cards on air, using 3dmark, and some gaming before putting them on water.

Associate
OP
I just took apart the water block and refitted the air cooler, fans are working led's are working but i'm not getting getting any display? and if i put both cards on it still only recognise the working one… any ideas? or is it really broken? :(

Associate
OP
i've tried the pci-e slot next to it, which is an x8 and its still not working… i'm tempted to take out the other working 780 ti and try it on that pci-e slot which is x16 not sure if its going to make a difference though… but that means i'm going to have to drain that gpu… and i don't if its actually worth doing it…. or should i just accept its dead.

Associate
OP
My first ever dead card in my 10 years of computer builds :( lol and i have no idea why it suddenly died….
Now i got to figure out how to do a RMA… hopefully its going to be a simple process.
Thanks everyone for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom