I thought linux was a complex "geeky" OS?

Associate
Ive been messing about with ubuntu and its reminiscent of when i tried out OSX a while back. Half the options that are in windows just arent there, i was looking to have a hard disk spin down after a set amount of inactivity but theres no option there.

Seems like windows is the more complex geeky OS, i tried out kubuntu as well which has more options but there still isnt as many as in windows.

What gives?

Soldato
Is there a GUI that can do all that jazz thats in windows? Im on a crappy mobile dongle atm so i cant try out all the distros i want to try myself.

The terminal window can do all the jazz windows can and a whole lot more! all accessible through this little application ;)

I dont think i've ever once heard that Windows is more geeky than linux thats for sure!

Associate
OP
The terminal window can do all the jazz windows can and a whole lot more! all accessible through this little application ;)

I dont think i've ever once heard that Windows is more geeky than linux thats for sure!

So basically i have to resort to a CLI to do anything beyond the basics?

Soldato
I always saw Linux as the geeky OS , never looked at Windows that way ...i used to like using Ubuntu ...but it doesn't seem the same any more though, used it via the Wubi installer and also as a dual boot with win7...but doesn't seem to want to actually run properly....just freezes....so I've not bothered for a while ...dunno if I will again either , But it would be nice to get it runing as either a dual boot or via the installer :)

Soldato
or arch linux or gentoo,

Ubuntu is for noobz, it's like all commercial and evil as it splits away from the community.

Ubuntu is nearly as evil as windows.

Yeah, god forbid an OS goes mainstream and tries to appeal to as many people as possible. What awful people.

Soldato
my spider sense is tingling at the moment on the alert of trolls.

That said, Geekier/More options/Complex doesn't mean better. Some people are happy just to use windows, while with linux come in all flavors to suit the needs of the user. I'm using CLI only with Ubuntu server and with raspbian on the pi.

Soldato
I don't know how good your eyesight is, but i can not read any of that. Seems like a horrible way to arrange a menu though, far too many options in one place.

If there's something you want to do then you can ask about that and we can try to help you, but you can't just come up with this vague criticism that really means absolutely nothing and expect to be taken seriously.

Permabanned
I don't know how good your eyesight is, but i can not read any of that. Seems like a horrible way to arrange a menu though, far too many options in one place.

One major pet hate of mine with Windows is the control panel. Not only are there multiple options to do the same things, but entries loop back round on themselves and criss cross all over the place. Windows 8 is worse in that it's kept the horrible control panel and then lobbed metro and all it's settings on top of that too. I like OS X has one option for one thing and you can use the command line. Or the likes of YAST on SUSE which is a better implementation of a control panel than Windows. And Gnome had a good control panel in Gnome 2, but they've completely bricked it in Gnome 3 in an attempt to mimic OS X settings panel. As for KDE... the less said about KDE and CONFIGURE ALL THE THINGS the better.

Back
Top Bottom