I want to become a Web Designer / Developer...

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I always prefer to use strict but transitional is fine too, just make sure it validates successfully against whatever doc-type you use so that browsers know how to display it properly.

Associate
OP
I too want to use strict so I'd sooner learn that from scratch than transitional and then mess around learning other bits. I feel like I really need to go back to sqaure one. There's just so many things to look at, which is spinning me out. I've spent too long in Dreamweaver and relied on that. I don't really know much about validation or accessibility. I just need a simple plan that will point me in the right direction. Wish I'd have done this 10 years ago.

RoEy

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Personally I would go the PHP route, theres a lot more out there in terms of free learning, because the language is heavily supported by the open source community.

This is nonsense; there are no more 'how to' articles in PHP then there are in .NET.

Associate
Great thread :D

I'm looking at getting into the same area and this has been a big help.

Does anyone know of any online communities that focus on this kind of stuff?

Last edited:
Associate
Once you have learnt xHTML and CSS and you are starting on the programming side of things, you may want to concentrate on programming techniques and design patterns as well as the actual syntax.

Programming things like basic logic (string, integers, arrays, if, else, switch) and OOP (Object Oriented Programming) are good to know in theory.

Once you understand the theory and recognise design patterns then without too much difficulty you can learn a programming language, after all, it's just the syntax you need to learn.

I can't stress enough really how much knowing OOP is valuable, I don't think you'll get far if you don't at least know the basics.

I like you, started as a junior. I developed personal sites in my own time to learn basic programming and HTML/CSS. Because I'm hard working, motivated and willing to learn I was given a shot at the place I work now (A web design and development agency). I started here just doing HTML/CSS production and quickly found myself being the number one for HTML production work. I've since moved on from being a junior to a middleweight developer who now spends most of my time developing applications, helping out with builds where I can.

Enough about me, I was just showing how, with enough determination, you can do it.

Good luck.

Izi

Izi

Soldato

and this proves more people search for php tutorial? so? :rolleyes:

searching asp.net tutorial brings back About 101,000,000 results
searching php tutorial brings back About 66,300,000 resuts

Either way this still doesnt mean jack. The point is you can find anything you want to find in either language on the internet. Do not base your arguments on frivolous statements.

I like PHP, I like scripting languages - they are easy to learn and understand. I had to do some classic asp today, and although the language is dog, its still fun and quick. However for the purpose of someone starting out a career in web development I would always point them towards .NET c# and ASP.NET MVC.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Once you have learnt xHTML and CSS and you are starting on the programming side of things, you may want to concentrate on programming techniques and design patterns as well as the actual syntax.

Programming things like basic logic (string, integers, arrays, if, else, switch) and OOP (Object Oriented Programming) are good to know in theory.

Once you understand the theory and recognise design patterns then without too much difficulty you can learn a programming language, after all, it's just the syntax you need to learn.

I can't stress enough really how much knowing OOP is valuable, I don't think you'll get far if you don't at least know the basics.

I like you, started as a junior. I developed personal sites in my own time to learn basic programming and HTML/CSS. Because I'm hard working, motivated and willing to learn I was given a shot at the place I work now (A web design and development agency). I started here just doing HTML/CSS production and quickly found myself being the number one for HTML production work. I've since moved on from being a junior to a middleweight developer who now spends most of my time developing applications, helping out with builds where I can.

Enough about me, I was just showing how, with enough determination, you can do it.

Good luck.

This post has made me feel great and just goes to show you can do anything you want to with enough effort in place. I will take on board everything you said and you are a real inspiration to me mate. With regards to php and asp.net, I'll get stuck into xhtml and css first then decide on that later.

Once again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to advise me.

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
I'm also going this route. In fact I have an interview Tuesday. It's a 2-hour behavioural interview. They will ask questions and expect concrete answers. For example:

"Explain to us a time when you and a team member disagreed, how did you solve this disagreement?"

My problem is, I'm self-taught and never worked in this field professionally (except for one site I did by myself). So Kinda dreading these questions due to my lack of experience. I've been told general answers aren't what they're looking for. :(

I've already sent my cv, portfolio, did a mock up test, had a phone interview, taken a personality test. There is just a face-to-face and if successful, a 'work-day' to go.

Soldato
I'm also hoping to go down the same route, just revising my html and css knowledge and learning up on php, js, sql and ajax.

But i'm going to try and do some freelancing first to build up a small portfolio, as I don't have one.

Anyone have advice for freelancing?

Soldato
I'm also hoping to go down the same route, just revising my html and css knowledge and learning up on php, js, sql and ajax.

But i'm going to try and do some freelancing first to build up a small portfolio, as I don't have one.

Anyone have advice for freelancing?

Im doing the exact same thing. Currently building a portfolio, mainly html and css just now but starting to dabble in php and jquery a little more beyond the usual plugins.

Im aiming at getting some freelance work then trying to get a junior front end dev or design role.

Great thread RoEy and all the other commenters, really helpfull and motivational.

Associate
OP
Im doing the exact same thing. Currently building a portfolio, mainly html and css just now but starting to dabble in php and jquery a little more beyond the usual plugins.

Im aiming at getting some freelance work then trying to get a junior front end dev or design role.

Great thread RoEy and all the other commenters, really helpfull and motivational.

Cheers mate. Really please other people are benefiting from this thread too, I know I am!

Just about to purchase these books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0672330970/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0596802447/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I want to forget everything I've done with Dreamweaver and start a fresh working from the ground up. From this weekend onwards I'll have plenty of time to get stuck in.

I'm going to use these books a long side the videos I have from lynda.com

Do they look ok as a good starting point? They have very good reviews.

RoEy

Associate
OP
Yes I can see where you're coming from but I do like to 'pick' something up too. By all means I'll use many different types of resources but I also favour books.

Do they look good enough to give me a good starting point?

RoEy

Associate
I liked the school site. You will be able to find work on a freelance portals very quickly. At the expense of learning PHP - there are many online tutorials: PHP Forms Tutorial, w3schools, tizag etc.

Associate
OP
I liked the school site. You will be able to find work on a freelance portals very quickly. At the expense of learning PHP - there are many online tutorials: PHP Forms Tutorial, w3schools, tizag etc.

Hi touristos,

Thanks for the info. Just having a look at a freelance portal. It's all new to me but looks very interesting and a good way to find bits of work. I'll have more confidence when I know HTML / XHTML and CSS more in-depth. Then I'll decide whether it's the php route or asp.net. I think I have until April / May in my current job so I've hopefully got enough time to get some serious studying in.

RoEy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom