I was bored so made a website!

Associate
Hi, I was bored over the weekend so made myself a website (I have started and stopped this many times before but decided to finish it off). I love pc gaming and reading news and reviews so thought I would do this, I know I'm never going to be able to compete with the big boys but this is more of a hobby than an attempt to make money etc.

I used a WP template (I know, I know lol) but I'm pretty happy considering I have no background in this field. I have installed some widgets for SEO, Newsletters and Share buttons etc. Made myself a twitter account to go with this site and wrote some articles.

I must say I have really enjoyed doing this and want to continue developing this as much as possible as a hobby. And hopefully people will find it interesting!

www.fryingeyes.com

I guess my post here is asking for any advice from you much more experienced folk as to making this site better, but please bear in mind that I am new to this stuff.

SEO is also something I need to learn about as I would like to drive at least some traffic to my site :eek:

Any advice is more than welcome.

Permabanned
I should agree your first time Job on your website is pretty good :) try working more on different theme with more option slowly and steadily you will learn, all the best.

Soldato
Very impressive... much better than I was expecting to see! :)

I do agree with the previous comment though that the blue header is in the wrong font, and colour, and does look a bit out of place as it is at the moment.

Also, on the registration page (under 'news') the grey text on a black background, above the white boxes. is almost impossible to read... well it is on my monitor!

Keep up the good work!

Associate
OP
Thanks very much guys, really appreciate the feed back. I have changed the logo and I do think it looks a lot better but Im still not 100% happy with it. I am totally rubbish at logo/banner design so might have to draft someone in to make one for me.

**snip**

Also, on the registration page (under 'news') the grey text on a black background, above the white boxes. is almost impossible to read... well it is on my monitor!

Keep up the good work!

Im not sure which bit you mean mate? can you link it for me please?

Im having a issue with the second nav bar (Features , news, reviews and contact). I cant seem to get it to center on the bar properly, it always seems too far to the right, any ideas please?

Soldato
Do you get the same problem reading the text on this page as well? What browser are you using please so I can try and recreate the issue as it is fine in my google chrome.

http://www.fryingeyes.com/pc-better-than-console/

Does anyone else get this issue?

I am also using Google Chrome (just updated!) and am getting the same issue on both pages in that the "Existing Users Log In" and "New Registration" lines can hardly be seen against the black background.

Associate
OP
Yes indeed... the page looks quite different now, and no longer asks for registration/log in details etc.

Onwards and upwards! :)

Yeah thanks, can't believe I didn't check it after I installed the plug in :confused:

I am still trying to figure out how to center the menu bar labels on the second bar if anyone can help?

Also do you guys think a video widget would be good in the right had side? I have read that having youtube video's on a site helps with seo?

Associate
OP
Which menu bar labels do you mean?

Also having a video won't really help you SEO-wise. If you want to increase your rank you need to have inbound links (as in third party websites linking to you)

Ah ok, I still would like a video widget some will do some research.

The menu bar I am talking about is the one with "News, Features, Reviews and contacts". As you can see the text is off center.

**edit*** what is the best way to get inbound links, is there a guide u can suggest for me to research?

Soldato
There's not really a guide; just write the best possible content you can that attracts people and makes them want to listen to what you have to say. The AddThis plugin may help with social media engagement, but unless you have the content it won't make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom