I was bored so made a website!

Associate
OP
There's not really a guide; just write the best possible content you can that attracts people and makes them want to listen to what you have to say. The AddThis plugin may help with social media engagement, but unless you have the content it won't make a difference.

Thanks again, I will have a look at the "AddThis" plugin.

I have also been looking at the google analytics, omg didn't how indepth it was, there is certainly a lot to learn :eek:

Associate
OP
Really good effort!

Only tweak I would make is blending in a subtle texture with the background as the plain black seems a little lackluster.

Yeah I know what you mean, the only way I know to alter the background image is by adding a actual image. Other then that I know how to add a flat colour.

I do think it needs to be less dark, Im just not sure what to do......:eek::eek:

Soldato
Site looks good I have a few suggestions.

UI
  • Login/Home should be red so it stands out a bit
  • Theme is a little to dark I think, overall I like it but I think maybe tone it down a bit
  • Read more links on the sidebar should also be red to standout a bit
  • Some of the icons need to be better, things like the new icon on posts makes no sense too me
  • "Share Me" text on articles its a little tacky.
  • I think the article and the post form should have some separation
  • Some Articles use the same image twice - http://www.fryingeyes.com/ea-pulling-plug-24-pc-multiplayer-games/
  • Forms need some love e.g. post form the tick is black so sort of disappears into the background and looks a bit odd.

SEO Wise I would look at Rich snippets, you can use it to improve your search results, its extremely useful for reviews, include a sitemap and news sitemap, the later is great if you update your site news section often as it will make google scan your site much more frequently.
Outside of those small points the site looks really solid, I was not expect it to be so good.

Associate
OP
Site looks good I have a few suggestions.

UI
  • Login/Home should be red so it stands out a bit
  • Theme is a little to dark I think, overall I like it but I think maybe tone it down a bit
  • Read more links on the sidebar should also be red to standout a bit
  • Some of the icons need to be better, things like the new icon on posts makes no sense too me
  • "Share Me" text on articles its a little tacky.
  • I think the article and the post form should have some separation
  • Some Articles use the same image twice - http://www.fryingeyes.com/ea-pulling-plug-24-pc-multiplayer-games/
  • Forms need some love e.g. post form the tick is black so sort of disappears into the background and looks a bit odd.

SEO Wise I would look at Rich snippets, you can use it to improve your search results, its extremely useful for reviews, include a sitemap and news sitemap, the later is great if you update your site news section often as it will make google scan your site much more frequently.
Outside of those small points the site looks really solid, I was not expect it to be so good.

I am having real trouble changing font colors, I have inspected the element to find where it is in the style.css file, then amended the color code and saved it, however nothing seems to change. I have also tried to change fonts and text size but still nothing. Below is a example of the section of code I am editing, can anyone help?

PHP:
/* First Level - Menu Primary */

.menu-primary li a {
    color: #FF0000;
    padding: 11px 28px 11px 2px;
	text-decoration: none;
    font-family: 'Oswald', sans-serif;
    font-size: 12px;
    text-transform: uppercase;
    font-weight: normal;

This I think is the home and login text on the top bar and it should show red now after this alteration? In the end I altered everything under the menu primary section with a color code to show as red but still nothing???

Associate
Make sure when you are checking changes you are reloading (in chrome) the page and not just refreshing.

Usually your browser will still just be pulling the old CSS from cache.

Associate
OP
You can also make amends in DevTools which updates instantly so you can see its effect.

sorry but what is this?

***edit***
Ah its the inspect element function in google chrome, i never know that. Its awesome, thanks.

Is it possible to save it via devtools or do I still need to edit the .css file directly?

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry but what is this?

***edit***
Ah its the inspect element function in google chrome, i never know that. Its awesome, thanks.

Is it possible to save it via devtools or do I still need to edit the .css file directly?

You will need to edit the CSS file directly. Although I have read of ways you can get it to update from the devtools.

My recommendation would be in the future to set up your own personal development site on your machine, that way you can test all your changes their and just copy it over.

I only say this as it is a little risky to edit your live site, if that is what your doing, one slip up could ruin things.

BTW login is much better in red, really stands out.

Associate
OP
I think I am getting the hang of this now, I have even managed to move the second menu text to the left, go me :D

Background is my next step as it is still really dark, I am rubbish at knowing what looks good or not so would appreciate some advice. I have changed the all background from all black to a kinda grey thingy, but im still not sure.

If anyone has any suggestions and could maybe link me some ideas it would really help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom