I will never buy from a competitor again

Associate
I bought most of my new PC from OCuk and the delivery was perfect. Waited a few months to buy a GPU as here didn't have the one I wanted. The competitors courier Yodel didn't even attempt delivery, I watched them drive by my very obvious house in a small town.

Livid is the word, honest to goodness the extra you pay here is bloody worth it.

Soldato
Had this with another competitor who used Hermes,

• 10am out for delivery
  • received 14:00-16:00 delivery slot
  • 13:00 received email, there is a problem with your delivery and it will not be delivered today...
  • a week passes and still nothing, can't even contact them because there's no option to speak to a human being.
  • ended up getting a refund instead and left the retailer to chase up where the actual item went!
Mind boggling, never had an issue with DPD. Always on time and delivered as per instructions.

Hell he even listened to not leave a note through the letter box for where he left the parcel so the wife wouldn't find out what i had ordered :cry::cry::cry:

Associate
I always look at who a company uses as a courier, yodel is not great where i live but Hermes is very good here i guess its the luck of the draw as to where you live DPD is good as is UPS and RM are good on the whole in my area.

Soldato
I always look at who a company uses as a courier, yodel is not great where i live but Hermes is very good here i guess its the luck of the draw as to where you live DPD is good as is UPS and RM are good on the whole in my area.

totally agree, I know it’s not an independent courier, but Amazon (when they use there own logistics) are good here also.

Soldato
I'd suggest making a habit of checking who a company uses for delivery before ordering and avoid using anyone who doesn't state outright which delivery method(s) they use, you can bet if it's not directly stated it's because they use Hermes, Yodel / ArrowXL (also Yodel) or another similar dreadful courier service. For what usually amounts to a saving of a few quid, i'd rather pay for a service that delivers personally, but i can appreciate the urge if you're stuggling to find something.

I've had Yodel drivers come to me, knock on the door or just card me without making any effort to knock, then jog away, at that point i'm chasing them down the path asking where they're going, and that's the times they actually bother to show up (i've had carded updates when the driver hasn't even been down my road). Stopped using anyone who doesn't clearly tell me who they use and i've not had issues since then, DPD, Royalmail and Parcelforce are always on the money for me, DPD being the best (they're typically 1-2 mins ahead of their time slot) and always super friendly.

Associate
OP
I'd suggest making a habit of checking who a company uses for delivery before ordering and avoid using anyone who doesn't state outright which delivery method(s) they use, you can bet if it's not directly stated it's because they use Hermes, Yodel / ArrowXL (also Yodel) or another similar dreadful courier service. For what usually amounts to a saving of a few quid, i'd rather pay for a service that delivers personally, but i can appreciate the urge if you're stuggling to find something.

I've had Yodel drivers come to me, knock on the door or just card me without making any effort to knock, then jog away, at that point i'm chasing them down the path asking where they're going, and that's the times they actually bother to show up (i've had carded updates when the driver hasn't even been down my road). Stopped using anyone who doesn't clearly tell me who they use and i've not had issues since then, DPD, Royalmail and Parcelforce are always on the money for me, DPD being the best (they're typically 1-2 mins ahead of their time slot) and always super friendly.

I think it was DPD that delivered from here, the guy was brilliant. The thing that gets me about Yodel is he didn't even pause or look, he flew by. Why didn't he even text or call or even slow down :confused:

I recently bought a 65 oled tv and one guy was on the phone (to his mate) while the other had the tv on his shoulder and dropped it, I can't remember the courier.

Lessons learned, the courier is far more important than the price savings.

Associate
I have ordered bits and bobs from lots of places in past 2 months and had stuff delivered by DPD, Yodel, Hermes, UPS,Amazon, Royal Mail of course, DHL and Santa Claus at Christmas. They have all been just fine and imo Yodel had the best communication about the delivery. DPD deliver a lot of stuff to me and are always reliable but none of the others has let me down either.

It really is all about luck and getting decent drivers in your area. If you have terrible Yodel drivers for your area then yes try to use an etailer who doesnt use them.

Soldato
Funny thing is about 8-10 years ago there used to be sooo much abuse for DPD in here and it was cited as a reason to NOT shop here :p

I guess they sorted that out.

Associate
It really is all about luck and getting decent drivers in your area. If you have terrible Yodel drivers for your area then yes try to use an etailer who doesnt use them.

Nail on head here tbh, 100 %. I had so many issues with parcel farce when I was in a block of flats. I won an xbox, they failed to deliver it 3 times stating no one was in, which there always was, I ended having to drive to their distro to pickup my own parcel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nail on head here tbh, 100 %. I had so many issues with parcel farce when I was in a block of flats. I won an xbox, they failed to deliver it 3 times stating no one was in, which there always was, I ended having to drive to their distro to pickup my own parcel.

Yup. 100% on drivers in the area and how they are managed.

Soldato
Yup. 100% on drivers in the area and how they are managed.
100% it's the drivers.
From what i know, if its anything like DPD they're technically self employed. There's a guy who delivers to our work and i once had the opportunity to have a proper chat with him. He basically said he buys his own van and gets DPD to sticker it up but he's actually self employed. He said he could rent a van from DPD but he loses around 30% a month due to the rental cost of the van being much more expensive. It's pretty interesting and said he can make more than a living doing it as he decides on his own hours and how long he wants to work.

Soldato
I've had varying experiences with couriers from DPD at the top to Hermes at the bottom. And I mean the very, very bottom.

If I can order from here I will as DPD are just well, terrific honestly.

Associate
I thought that was CityLink (Green and yellow vans?)

I think DPD bought them up in some fashion. DPD blue is on the books, aka citylink (or whoever it was they bought), and DPD red is self employed. I think there is a 3rd one also, not sure who they are though.

DPD need to pay their drivers more as they're doing a great job. Every other courier service is terrible to (maybe) okay.

But in regards to OC, they've been handling the GPU situation very well, but their lack of staff/covid issues didn't get handled too well.

Associate
Definitely still avoid Yodel if I know a company uses them.

Was expecting a parcel from abroad few weeks ago, after arriving in UK, through no choice of mine ended up being passed to Yodel.

Car turned up on the day in the street, individual got out walked to next street out of view of CCTV with parcel and returned empty handed to car and drove off. Tracking showed delivered!

Contacted head office as it is impossible to get hold of any humans. Weeks later they’re still procrastinating busy doing nothing to interrogate driver or attempt to recover parcel! Their cars claim to have GPS so even though they were in the street, you need to cover yourselves with either a webcam or CCTV on the day you’re expecting, otherwise they’ll spout GPS at you!

Strange how there can be so many courier companies and no regulatory body.

Associate

I had a packet come from netherlands, came via UPS. It only got to the "out for delivery" point. No delivered notification or anything. No way to call hub 10 miles away, and sure as hell wasn't driving that far. The seller wanted me to jump through hoops for a refund, despite me repeatedly asking for my packet, and refusing the refund. They silently refunded me, and gave me a 15% voucher for future use, thanks but i'll pass on that one.

Back
Top Bottom