• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I wish I wasn't so susceptible to frame rate

Associate
I don't know if any of you guys are the same, but I have the ability to notice subtle frame drops. I can tell - by feel - when a game is running at 60 or 50, I can tell when a game has dropped from 60-55 or even 65-60. It really bugs me that I can do this because it makes playing games that much more frustrating when its a demanding title. What makes things even worse is I just bought a 144hz monitor and now even 60 fps feels like 30 to me where as before it felt smooth lol

I know i'm not the only one?

Man of Honour
Depends - vsync on due to the way it works I feel drops below 60 because even momentary drops where the framerate counter is showing 50 or whatever will actually be a drop to the next lowest vsync multiple i.e. 30.

With vsync off I don't tend to notice smaller drops like 5fps or so unless its going below 50 - I do notice a huge difference between 60 and 120fps though - once you get used to 120fps the input latency at 60 is quite noticeable where it wasn't so much before.

Soldato
I think it's quite normal. Also depends on the game. I can notice 5fps drops in certain games and it feels horrid, whereas in others 50fps feels quite comfortable (even though I can tell the game isn't running at 60fps in most cases).

If you get used to constant 60fps, those subtle drops become increasingly evident:p

Soldato
OP, you're not the only one, sync technologies prove it. ;)

Even in the old days people would want 300fps in Quake as you could feel the benefit. Shouldn't be surprising to anyone who spends hours on a hobby, DIY enthusiasts value a good tool but others would not see the point in getting anything other than the cheapest Chinese one as they need it once then bung it in a closet. If you spend hours in front of the monitor every day concentrating intensely you will subconsciously become acclimated to that experience. Some people take a while to notice the benefits of 120hz, but when they drop back to 60 they notice it instantly.

There's no doubt in my mind that everyone will notice but the exposure period necessary is different.

Soldato
I notice smoothness rather than actual framerate in games, but i am getting used to higher framerates which makes going to the cinema, or console gaming an absolute nightmare.

Gaming on eyefinity i tend to be more annoyed by lack of pixels on tv etc. I now refuse to watch anything below 1080p on youtube and can barely stand 720p on tv, just not enough pixels

Caporegime
I've just gone for 1080p to 1440p and I'm feeling the need to upgrade my GPU as my 7990 is showing it's age - unfortunately there's nothing at a reasonable price to scratch that itch.

Strangely going back to 60hz IPS from 144hz TN hasn't been bad though.

Soldato
Depends - vsync on due to the way it works I feel drops below 60 because even momentary drops where the framerate counter is showing 50 or whatever will actually be a drop to the next lowest vsync multiple i.e. 30.

Isn't that only true without triple buffering? What's more noticeable for me is frame rate drops than a steady low frame rate. I can happily play a game at say 40fps locked and it's more enjoyable than 60 with drops. 30/40 fps feels a bit slow to start with but just like when I switch to something on ps4, my brain seems to adjust eventually.

Back
Top Bottom