I4770K Overclock not showing.

Associate
I've overclocked my cpu to 4.3 in the bios etc but for some reason it is not showing in cpuz.
I've installed intel extreme tuning utility and that too won't go above 3.7.
It is not even showing the oc whilst running prime95. The max it goes upto is 3.7 and drops.
The mobo is Asus maximus formula VI with the latest bios.
Eist disabled
Turbo enabled
C states disabled
Is there something that I have missed??

Associate
Likely a power saving issue? Check the settings in windows and bios - make sure you are stressing the cpu at 100% too

Associate
OP
dQobe
dQobe
https://imgur.com/a/dQobe
There you go mate.
Click on link as I'm having trouble posting a pic on here.
I've checked all my power saving settings in bios and windows and they are all what they should be.
I did have have the oc running and showing at 4.3 last night for a couple of hours then turned pc off for the night and turned it back on today and back to 3.5 even when under 100% stress on prime95.
I've just run AIDA64 and it's showing that the cpu isn't being throttled.

Last edited:
Soldato
Run an Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility test as well. It can indicate any power throttling too. However, the problem seems to be your overclock not sticking, as the max multiplier on your screenshot is 39 not 43. It's sort of like the OC is failing and it's reverting to default. But it would usually show you a message about this as it boots up.

Associate
OP
I have run XTU and 'current limit throttling' is high lighted.
No messages are showing up on post screen.
I've reset everything back to stock.
If I go above 3.7 then current limit throttling comes on.
I'm totally baffled.
Any ideas??

Last edited:
Associate
Actually the same thing happend to me today, my 4.6 overclock has been stable for a very long time, i turned my computer on today and bang....my overclok is now down to 3.691 i am baffled i have the same motherboard as you also cpu in sig.

Associate
Actually the same thing happend to me today, my 4.6 overclock has been stable for a very long time, i turned my computer on today and bang....my overclok is now down to 3.691 i am baffled i have the same motherboard as you also cpu in sig.
dQobe
dQobe
https://imgur.com/a/dQobe
There you go mate.
Click on link as I'm having trouble posting a pic on here.
I've checked all my power saving settings in bios and windows and they are all what they should be.
I did have have the oc running and showing at 4.3 last night for a couple of hours then turned pc off for the night and turned it back on today and back to 3.5 even when under 100% stress on prime95.
I've just run AIDA64 and it's showing that the cpu isn't being throttled.
The silicon degrades under an OC, and I have a theory that the voltage spike turning on the system is just enough to push the OC over, this does some damage, and then you never can reach that OC again. I used to be able to reach 4.8GHz with ym i7-4790K and now I'm down to 4.6GHz after 2 years. Plus if you have changed your mobo to something with less power phases this can also effect the OC considerably.

Associate
i have not changed anything, this has happens before i cannot remember how it fixed itself. what i can see at closer inspection, my multiplyer isnt sticking.

by this i mean in my bios its set to 46 in windows loooking at cpuz its 37. that is why it wont go above 3.7.

Associate
OP
i have not changed anything, this has happens before i cannot remember how it fixed itself. what i can see at closer inspection, my multiplyer isnt sticking.

by this i mean in my bios its set to 46 in windows loooking at cpuz its 37. that is why it wont go above 3.7.
Exactly what I'm experiencing.
I've searched the net and still haven't seen a fix. :(

Back
Top Bottom