I5-13600k overheating

Associate
Hi, need some advice. Have a new build Gugabyte Z790 UD AX with a I5-13600K and Dark Rock Pro 5.

Whenever I run Conebench processor hits 100c instantly. I’ve reseated the cooler, thermal compound etc. I know there is this Intel power limits problem but I’ve put the latest BIOS on which has the “correct” options enabled my defaults.

Any thoughts what I can try to lower them at all?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi, need some advice. Have a new build Gugabyte Z790 UD AX with a I5-13600K and Dark Rock Pro 5.

Whenever I run Conebench processor hits 100c instantly. I’ve reseated the cooler, thermal compound etc. I know there is this Intel power limits problem but I’ve put the latest BIOS on which has the “correct” options enabled my defaults.

Any thoughts what I can try to lower them at all?

Thanks
Are you on the latest bios with the new Intel profiles?

Soldato
New system built yesterday.
Looking at the manual for the cooler there is 2 screws holding it in place.

When screwing these up did you do a little on 1 side and then move to the other then back again?

Just making sure that 1 screw was not tightened up fully before moving to the other side so the mounting is level

Associate
OP
Looking at the manual for the cooler there is 2 screws holding it in place.

When screwing these up did you do a little on 1 side and then move to the other then back again?

Just making sure that 1 screw was not tightened up fully before moving to the other side so the mounting is level
yeah I’ve fitted these many times, never do up one at a time etc.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sitting idle fluctuates between 34-45c with an avg of 37c and that’s after 10 minutes.

Hwinfo saying both PL 1/2 power limit (static) @ 181w.

Under cinebench load CPU package power showing max 175w give or take.

Hope this helps.

Man of Honour
Responding to instant high loads can be quite difficult for air coolers, depending on the fan profile.

What is your usual temp in games?

Soldato
Sitting idle fluctuates between 34-45c with an avg of 37c and that’s after 10 minutes.

Hwinfo saying both PL 1/2 power limit (static) @ 181w.

Under cinebench load CPU package power showing max 175w give or take.

Hope this helps.
Have you changed any of the fan settings? what speed is the fans running at during the run?

Associate
OP
Responding to instant high loads can be quite difficult for air coolers, depending on the fan profile.

What is your usual temp in games?
I haven’t tested any games, I know testing utilities like cinebench push it more than games, but consistently hitting 100c just doesn’t seem right still?

Man of Honour
I haven’t tested any games, I know testing utilities like cinebench push it more than games, but consistently hitting 100c just doesn’t seem right still?
It is pretty normal for Intel K CPUs, depending on the cooler and the fan profiles. Contact frames can sometimes help, if the cooler isn't making good contact.

Soldato
temps in most games should be around 60-80c depending on which game you play, if the cpu is running at 100c in games there is a problem, it's natural for any cpu to run super hot in cinebench, so dont be suprised if you cant get it to run cooler in that specific program, anything else you should be ok.

Last edited:
Associate
I had this issue with both z-690 boards I have. I did a few things that helped, on my Asrock build I set power limits to intel recommended ones in BIOS, problem solved of 100c+ temps. On the Asus ROG board I installed a contact frame and that dropped my temps from 100c to 80c, and after swapping AIOs using thermalrights included thermal paste reduced it further 2c to 78c. Actually installed the contact frame on the asrock build too which probably helped, its being cooled by the thermalright frost spirit 140. Anyway google your problem there are plenty of videos on this topic. You're right it shouldnt hit 100 or 115c! Should be max 80-90c at full load after A WHILE!

Associate
Setting power limits and possibly even undervolting will bring that temperature to a much more manageable level. Is the cpu running at default speeds or overclocked?

Back
Top Bottom