• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 2,8ghz problems with voltages

The memory controller is on the CPU.... if you're undervolting the cpu it won't be able to communicate properly with the dimms, so you'll get errors associated with them.

Why do you want to undervolt your CPU? Is your system running really hot?

Soldato
I've been running my i5 750 at 1.125 volt for around a month (stock speeds) stable. I even had a small overclock 10% at this voltage, but i'm back to stock.

My reason for undervolting was I noticed 5-10 degree drop in CPU temp (load test). I do have an issue with temps, as my CPU cooler is mounted backwards (cpu fan fouls the memory if correct way), also an older Cheiftec Dragon Case that does not have the best cooling compared to new cases. Other then that I like my systems cool and quite.

Can someone please give me the technical reason why undervolting will cause damage to a CPU.

Associate
OP
My reason is the temperatures. The stock cooler is not good and with 1,05v i have better temps. If undervolting don't damage the CPU i don't see the problem.

I have running very linx and IBT and it pass.

But undervolting on CPU damage the dimms??

Last edited:
Can someone please give me the technical reason why undervolting will cause damage to a CPU.

It shouldn't damage hardware.... however your software will probably be at risk. If it's not stable you can get corrupted files in your OS, or even your bios or mbr.

It shouldn't matter if your cpu fan is on backwards, as long as you design the airflow in the rest of your case to match it. Most cases suck in at the front, and blow out the back, however if you've reveresed your cpu fan you probably want the opposite.... sucking in at the back and exiting the front.

Just go in there and flip the fans around so the air is flowing nicely though the case.

Associate
OP
It shouldn't damage hardware.... however your software will probably be at risk. If it's not stable you can get corrupted files in your OS, or even your bios or mbr.

It shouldn't matter if your cpu fan is on backwards, as long as you design the airflow in the rest of your case to match it. Most cases suck in at the front, and blow out the back, however if you've reveresed your cpu fan you probably want the opposite.... sucking in at the back and exiting the front.

Just go in there and flip the fans around so the air is flowing nicely though the case.

But if we have the linx pass and don't have errors, the undervolting is ok, right??

When i put the dimm damage, the programs at windows cannot start. With the good dimm, the programs strat and the pc is stable.

Soldato

The problem is it's an old Cheftec Dragon case with 2 x 80mm + PSU fan rear, front is 1 x 80mm The rear 80mm locations are housing Antec 90mm fans but must be fitted as extraction only. Also the front vents are at the bottom of case

I like your thinking however, I should really get another case but it's 9 years old and i'm attached to it.. It started out housing a Pentium 3, but now housing the i5..

Associate
OP
Well, my problem is solved, i go to store (PCDiga/Portugal), they said they change at the time but since they did not have in stock they lend me 4 gb team elite. Now everything is good and operational.

Sorry for my english, i'm portuguese.

Back
Top Bottom