• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 2nd Gen VS i3 4th Gen

Associate
Hi.
Can you tell me which cpu is better for gaming?

Intel Core i5 2nd gen 3.1GHz
Or
Intel Core i3 4th gen 3.4GHz

This will be paired with 8GB of RAM and a GT 1030.

Associate
I'd be inclined to say the i5-2400 with it being quad-core and having a considerably higher CPU PassMark score (23.82% increase).

Effective speed-wise on average user benchmarks is 15% higher on the i5-2400 also.

Soldato
Depends what gaming.

I had a Haswell i3, think it was the 3.7GHz one, before upgrading to a 4670k. To be honest for 4k gaming it was absolutely fine and I'd highly recommend them.

I'd personally go for the i3 since it's on a newer platform and down the road you could chuck a 4790 in there for a decent upgrade.

Edit - With a GT 1030 you won't notice the difference in games at all, I'd get the i3.

Soldato
I'd be inclined to say the i5-2400 with it being quad-core and having a considerably higher CPU PassMark score (23.82% increase).

Effective speed-wise on average user benchmarks is 15% higher on the i5-2400 also.

Those passmark results mean bugger all, Not real world usage, wouldnt suggest to compare them when debating which component to buy

Last edited:
Soldato
Those passmark results mean bugger all, Not real world usage, would suggest to compare them when debating which component to buy

Depends what you are doing. For gaming though you'd need to look at what games you want to play and if multi threaded or single threaded performance was more important.

Soldato
Even then, the IPC and clockspeed between the two aren't that hugely different so I would go with the i5. Having 4 physical cores will be better in the long run compared to 2 physical/4 logical.

Soldato
I would agree.

I notice with the kids i3 playing some games the CPU is maxed out on both Cores.
I find a multi-core system is just more responsive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another option is to buy the newer system then later on when the price of the CPU's drops, change the CPU for a quad core one.

That was my plan, with the pre-built one the kids have. I'll probably just change the i3 system for a newer used prebuilt. Better bang for buck.

Soldato
Depends what you are doing. For gaming though you'd need to look at what games you want to play and if multi threaded or single threaded performance was more important.

was meant to say 'wouldnt compare'.. i have looked at the benchmarks that get posted and the only ones i particularly care for are the game ones, not to say i would ever play the games they bench, but it gives you a good rough idea of actual gaming performance be like, when i look on a site called notebookcheck or something for general processors/graphics reviews and not just laptops, for graphic side of things it does show results of some games of the era.

i feel the only time that benchmarks/passmark scores that are not of gaming to be useful is if you use the computer beyond general use but not for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom