• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5-3570 vs i7-3770 for gaming on stock

Associate
Hi guy, I have a quick question to ask about replacing my i3 with something stronger. Some fact before we start, my motherboard have no OC features at all. I will be upgrading my mob+cpu+ram but not sooner then 2 years time. As in a title I want to pick up i5 or i7 non "K" version as no need to pay extra for OC. I can get i5 for £37 after all the discounts I get as for i7 it would be £112(yep). My question is: Will i5 be enough for me to enjoy my gaming? Will it bottleneck my Gtx 980ti? I dont play any strategy game but I do want to play new mass effect which now is running on my i3 at 15 to 30 fps. Let me know what you think.

Soldato
Are you short of cash?

If money is REALLY REALLY tight then maybe a cheap (if you can find it cheap) i7 would be OK. Don't go i5. 4 cores wont cut it for much longer and will bottleneck the 980ti.

Ideally, you save your pennies and do a full upgrade maybe to a Ryzen 1600 platform.

Associate
OP
Double the cores and threads with a higher clock speed for £112 seems worthwhile if you aren't upgrading for 2 years.
I7 is over £80 more than i5. Would real world performance be worth it? Would games use HT? I cant find any benchmarks that compare them with current games. What are your thoughts on it?

Associate
OP
Are you short of cash?

If money is REALLY REALLY tight then maybe a cheap (if you can find it cheap) i7 would be OK. Don't go i5. 4 cores wont cut it for much longer and will bottleneck the 980ti.

Ideally, you save your pennies and do a full upgrade maybe to a Ryzen 1600 platform.
For £37 I get i5 with 2 years warranty same for i7 for £112... So I'm not gone look for other cheaper i7s as that warranty is important to me. I dont want to upgrade my mob+cpu+ram just yet, I want them to machure and see what intel comes out with do to amd good offering.

Soldato
For £37 I get i5 with 2 years warranty same for i7 for £112... So I'm not gone look for other cheaper i7s as that warranty is important to me. I dont want to upgrade my mob+cpu+ram just yet, I want them to machure and see what intel comes out with do to amd good offering.

Just my thoughts are £112 is a lot of money to spend on a dead platform. I wouldn't do it. but that depends on your finances.

Associate
OP
Just my thoughts are £112 is a lot of money to spend on a dead platform. I wouldn't do it. but that depends on your finances.
To be fair I dont want to spend extra £80 just to get 5% in game but if its a difference between playable game and slid show choice is simple. At the moment I dont have to much of spare income so buying a £100 cpu is a max f what I can do. Would I see much of extra performance from i7 over i5?

Soldato
£37 for an i5, that's a no brainer. I mean you'll get a gpu bottleneck, but it'll be a big improvement over the i3.

Soldato
I7 is over £80 more than i5. Would real world performance be worth it? Would games use HT? I cant find any benchmarks that compare them with current games. What are your thoughts on it?

I started with a 3570k and went 3770k, both at 4.3. If you were upgrading shortly, I'd say go i5, but at anything like 12-24 months I'd go i7. I could max out my i5 in a few titles under certain conditions, this was 6+ months ago.

Soldato
There's a decent performance benefit to an i7 in more heavily-threaded games, which a lot of newer titles are. Especially in terms of frametimes and lows, which are generally much better on an i7. There are even a few scenarios where a 2600K would get you a locked 60fps, but a 7600K overclocked to 5GHz wouldn't (one of the early levels in Crysis 3 for example). Mass Effect: Andromeda runs just fine on an i5 though, as do most other games, and it is a lot cheaper.

Soldato
I went from a 4.6ghz i5 6600k to an i7 6700k at the same speed and only noticed performance increases in multi threaded titles like bf1 and overwatch. Even then, it was like 10% or something.

Soldato
My honest opinion is it is not worth spending too much money on a dead platform.

Spend the small amount get 3570k and put the rest towards a new build.

It will still severally bottleneck a 980ti without an overclock to 4.4Ghz +.

Associate
OP
I will be picking up i5 as I dont want to spend to much on my setup. I found this on net too:
andromeda4CPU.png

Associate
I loved my i3570k it was a stonker of a chip. Swapped it out for a 3770k I picked up from clearance stock some place and tbh I've not really noticed much difference. ;)

It's an older chip now, but if you already have a compatible motherboard and are just looking for a cheap upgrade path within that platform I would say either would make you happy.

Associate
To be honest, I'm skeptical whenever anyone says there's a huge gaming difference between the i5 and i7.

1. Both are most likely going to have 4 cores.
2. 4 cores is more than enough for any gaming application.
3. MT won't make any real world difference in gaming.

In deciding to purchase a CPU, you should be thinking about what else you'll be doing that would utilise the CPU. For gaming, the same generation of i5 and i7 are not going to give you a noticeable difference in gaming performance.

See the highlighted i5 vs i7 as an example.

2681930-8986436654-INTEL.jpg

Also remember that the above comparison is not an apples to apples comparison because the platforms between the CPUs also differ and could partly explain the performance differential.

Back
Top Bottom