I5 6600t OC

Permabanned
My girlfriend as asked me to smarten up her pc, I was going to recase it but I have need offed a board ram and i5 6600t from a friend at college.

He as never had the need to over clock it, I was wanting to know what sort of speeds could be expected from it.

I have seen the 6500 can hit 4.6ghz but I can't find any info on the 35w 6600t.

Soldato
6600T can't be overclocked. Only K series CPUs are unlocked, plus the T series are low power so designed specifically to be clocked low.

Some boards may offer the option to unlock all-core boost but that's about it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Well, technically it can be overclocked a bit - AFAIK if you've got a Z chipset motherboard (Z270 probably being the best bet) you can run it at 2 multipliers over the turbo frequency on all cores, which in the case of the 6600T would be 37x for 3.7GHz.

Permabanned
OP
You need a z170 with modded bios. I have downloaded the Bios. The board is a Asus z170i. I know people have had a lot of good overclocks with this board but I didn't know if the lower 35w would be a problem

Edit: I have just worked out what your saying JRS, I am referring to base clock overclocking on the skylake chips

Last edited:
Soldato
You need a z170 with modded bios. I have downloaded the Bios. The board is a Asus z170i. I know people have had a lot of good overclocks with this board but I didn't know if the lower 35w would be a problem
Here's roughly how Intel handle their CPU power tiers:

S is reduced power. Used in small PCs a lot.
T is extra low power. Used in embedded type stuff like all-in-one pcs.
U is ultra low power, used in laptops etc.

Now, a 6600S would be the same silicon as a 6600 with a lower clock profile to reduce power consumption. A T would reduce clocks further. Theoretically you could clock a 6600k down to 6600T speeds and it would use a similar amount of power.

The question should also be asked how Intel decide which silicon to assign different labels to. Do they use stuff that's unstable at higher clocks for low power chips? Do they use the stuff that generates least heat? Surely that's reserved for the best overclockers.

Associate
I had a 6500 clocked to 4.8 was easy cant see why u wont be able to hit 4 with the right board bios z170

Blk overclocking was great on these chips i would have still had it if not for the great deal i got my 8700k for

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
That sounds super. I have no experience with skylake chips but I read good things.
The cpu will be more than is needed by the gf at stock speeds but free performance is always a good thing.

Permabanned
OP
Hit me up on trust if u need any help With settings

I don't know what trust is. The only questions I have are.

What sort of max vcore should I be running for day to day use.
Am I better of with multi set to max and uping the base clock or is it better low multi and high base clock.

The ram can run and 3600mhz and I can lower that to give me headroom for the clock bump.

Associate
I don't know what trust is. The only questions I have are.

What sort of max vcore should I be running for day to day use.
Am I better of with multi set to max and uping the base clock or is it better low multi and high base clock.

The ram can run and 3600mhz and I can lower that to give me headroom for the clock bump.

trust is the little button by the quote button it just sends an email from here to my personal email.

V core I was running @ 1.4v @ 4.8 Ghz for two years plus not a problem u will have to see if u can go lower as it all depends on the chip really.

As too the clock and multi I think there is some sort of bug in the Asus bios as if u set the maximum multi it would reboot and set at a lower multi so I had to have this set -2 of max multi and it would be fine overclocking would be done only one the base Clock my mine would boot all the way to 150 so plenty of scope for clocking these chips.

I take it you mean the ram can run @ 3600 should be fine no need to lower u might be able to tighten your timings I did

Permabanned
OP
thanks that's super, i will have a go at overclocking tomorrow i got home for work late and i have collage tomorrow.

setup trust too :cool:

if i aim for 4Ghz with a multi of 31/32 i should get away with running around the 130's base clock.

if you run 1.4v for 2 years. i will class this as my max voltage, however with me running .8ghz slower i would hope for a little less than 1.4v

My cooler will(should) be upto the job of keeping it cool but what is the best program to monitor temps, i was told there is a bug where the system well just report 100c+, do any programs report the right info?

Associate
thanks that's super, i will have a go at overclocking tomorrow i got home for work late and i have collage tomorrow.

setup trust too :cool:

if i aim for 4Ghz with a multi of 31/32 i should get away with running around the 130's base clock.

if you run 1.4v for 2 years. i will class this as my max voltage, however with me running .8ghz slower i would hope for a little less than 1.4v

My cooler will(should) be upto the job of keeping it cool but what is the best program to monitor temps, i was told there is a bug where the system well just report 100c+, do any programs report the right info?

Yes when overclocking these chips there was no temp monitoring if your board supports a temp probe u could use that as a rough measurement i had mine on a 240 aio so really did not worry about temps.

I would start 1.3v @ 4Ghz and have a read of the 6600k overclocking thread to see what temps they where getting for a rough temp guide.

Or some one on here might still be running a k they might do a speed run at 4 ghz to give you the temps.

Permabanned
OP
Yes when overclocking these chips there was no temp monitoring if your board supports a temp probe u could use that as a rough measurement i had mine on a 240 aio so really did not worry about temps.
I would start 1.3v @ 4Ghz

I have been playing to day and found that my montherboard (asus z170i) dosent have the option to set "Turbo performance" so when i am none K overclocking i am stuck with a multi of 27, this is both good and bad.
the good is my ring bus is also at 27 so i have a 1:1 ration on the ring a lot find they have a massive drop in that buss.
the bad i can only hit 4.1Ghz with a multi of 27 x 152 bus voltage as at to be at 1.375v, if i run 3.9Ghz i can get voltage to 1.275v

i have decided to go for 3.9Ghz at this time as i was told to monitor the package temp and aim for 60C when gaming, they say this would put me in the low to mid 70's....

Permabanned
OP
Thats a dam shame as i bet it probably would clock a little higher. Keep an eye out for a cheap 6500 or 6400 as these have higher multi

tbf i was testing with Battlefield V, CPU usage was at 100%, after the small overclock its now at about 65% so the small bump in speeds as made a big impact.
Also the things the GF runs are not as heavy on the CPU as BFV, for her needs it was good at stock speeds, sheb asked me to make her i3 4330 mATX pc smaller. the i5 ITX at a good bump in performance and a lot smaller

if i was to pick up a different CPU given the prices of i5 been around £150.. and i7 been £200 i would go for an i7 of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom