• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 750 - any OC recommendations

Associate
Hi,

Just building my Mum a new pc built around an i5 750 on a Gigabyte P55-UM2 motherboard. I want to overclock it a bit, but not too much as she won't be gaming or folding etc, but my Dad will be doing a bit of video encoding.

Anyone able to recommend any good settings for this as a starting point please?

What is achievable with this CPU and what are considered good temps, I'm not using the standard cooler.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
i5 750 on a Gigabyte P55-UM2

do you mean the UD2?

if so, then i would be careful when clocking
the UD2 doesnt have any mosfet heatsinks

when you clock a quad [i5/i7] on it, it can blow the mosfets up and set them on fire.

the board is generally alright for things like clarkdale i3 cpus but i wouldnt personally risk running a higher TDP cpu on that board.

we did a series of 20 systems with that board in and they all had to be replaced as the i5 @ 3.4ghz was too much for them

just a headsup :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
yeah, thats the board i mean

it will clcok just not a lot

Custom PC giving bad advice again :rolleyes:

fact is, they get one sample board and judge that one.
we try loads of boards and test on a cross section

Soldato
Stock plus turbo - mum and dad wont know the difference :)

If they're anything like my parents, probably more useful to them than an overclock would be some advice on how to keep the system running fast - regular malware scan, keeping files organised, not installing crap etc etc. Every time I visit my parents' there's another 5 desktop icons, another two or three system tray icons, another browser search bar, 10 new processes running and a pile of malware. Like kids who can't keep their bedroom tidy :) :)

Back
Top Bottom