I5-760 upgrade

Associate
Hey, basically I want to upgrade my cpu which means upgrading mobo/ram, hoping I can get away with keeping my PSU?

So im looking to find mobo/cpu/ram/ssd on a 300-400 quid budget, I mainly game and browse.

Current Spec

Case - Antec 300
Mobo - Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
CPU - i5-760 @ 3.6GHz
RAM - 8GB 1600Mhz
GPU - Rx 570
PSU - OCZ 600W
HDD - 500GB Seagate

Permabanned
WoW, which is fine at the mo but just bought AC: Odyssey. I understand I'm not gonna be playing any recent titles at max settings with that budget so basically the best specs I can get that will give me a good boost in today's games.

That will probably be AMD for games. I'll let someone handle that more in tune with the range.

Soldato
Hey, basically I want to upgrade my cpu which means upgrading mobo/ram, hoping I can get away with keeping my PSU?

So im looking to find mobo/cpu/ram/ssd on a 300-400 quid budget, I mainly game and browse.

Current Spec

Case - Antec 300
CPU - i5-760 @ 3.6GHz
RAM - 8GB 1600Mhz
GPU - Rx 570
PSU - OCZ 600W
HDD - 500GB Seagate

how soon do you need to upgrade as the recommended MSI B450 motherboards are out of stock and B550 due in mid June. Do you already have an SSD?

Soldato
The RAM is on offer might be worth picking up now. this will give you an idea, and others may comment and add their opnions too

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £470.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
if you shop around you can get this board now for £73 its MATX.

Soldato

Current Spec

Case - Antec 300
CPU - i5-760 @ 3.6GHz
RAM - 8GB 1600Mhz
GPU - Rx 570
PSU - OCZ 600W
HDD - 500GB Seagate

Now is probably a bad time to buy as AMD has just discontinued support for b450 the kind of budget board you would be looking for and these will be replaced by the more expensive B550 which isn't even out yet. I would say to either save up a bit and hold off for A520/B550 boards or grab a cheap Xeon x3440 4core 8thread CPU to drop into your existing board as a stop gap. I had one of these and it powered a gtx 1070ti perfectly fine in gaming when overclocked to 4ghz.

http://valid.x86.fr/6f9875

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, you've chosen one of the most sub-optimal times to actually upgrade; you've chosen one of the better times to not be in a hurry.

I'll echo @Joxeon's Xeon suggestion. Note that you will likely need to update your BIOS first.

According to the supported CPU list, the X3440 is not supported but the X3480 and X3450 are supported. The former is very much more expensive than the latter, which should only cost you a tenner or two.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey loves cores and improves up to 8 cores, maybe more. Next-gen consoles are also 8 core so you should go for an 8 core CPU when you do upgrade. Add an extra 2+ cores if you want to stream.

But I'll also note that your RX 570 isn't going to cut it on Assassin's Creed. You'll only get the high 40s at medium settings. And is NBG if you want to stream. Fortunately, new Nvidia GPUs are expected in August or September.

I would take the opportunity to replace your PSU.

Associate
OP
Yes, you've chosen one of the most sub-optimal times to actually upgrade; you've chosen one of the better times to not be in a hurry.

I'll echo @Joxeon's Xeon suggestion. Note that you will likely need to update your BIOS first.

According to the supported CPU list, the X3440 is not supported but the X3480 and X3450 are supported. The former is very much more expensive than the latter, which should only cost you a tenner or two.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey loves cores and improves up to 8 cores, maybe more. Next-gen consoles are also 8 core so you should go for an 8 core CPU when you do upgrade. Add an extra 2+ cores if you want to stream.

But I'll also note that your RX 570 isn't going to cut it on Assassin's Creed. You'll only get the high 40s at medium settings. And is NBG if you want to stream. Fortunately, new Nvidia GPUs are expected in August or September.

I would take the opportunity to replace your PSU.

Just ordered Xeon x3440 says refurbished but all I could find, 15 quid so no biggy.

I just got the missus to get me the RX 570 for my bday, I dont actually have it yet, was hoping I'd be able to run it well on medium , oh well.

Associate
OP
I checked my bios version and it says F11, which is the latest one I could find online, im sure the fast boot option in bios has always been disabled.

Soldato
Just as a side note, when you do get around to upgrading to a newer build, if your PSU is as old as your i5 760, you might want to budget in for a new PSU. The last thing you want to do is for the PSU to go kaput and take out everything with it.
I made the exact same jump though, i5 760 to Ryzen 2600. I mainly play LoL at 1080p, so graphics card isn't so important to me. The biggest upgrade for me for general use was going from HDD to SDD.

Back
Top Bottom