• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 7600k bottleneck - upgrade options?

Associate
What makes you think this? TBH I don't like the term "bottlenecking" it indicates that a bus or something has reached it's limit, which certainly is not the case with your CPU and motherboard. I think you may be very underwhelmed by a CPU upgrade.

I disagree. My 4690K was heavily limiting my FPS in many titles when I was using a 980Ti with my 1440p 165Hz monitor. Upgrading to the 8700K I currently use the performance uplift was massive, from an average of about 75-85FPS with dips to the mid 40's and CPU usage pegged at 100% all the time all the way up to an average of around 100 and crucially lows above 75. War Thunder and several other games saw big increases too so I would definitely recommend upgrading. The OP would see huge differences in many titles with a 2070S, particularly in newer titles.

In terms of which CPU if you can wait a couple of months (and if you want it to last 3-4 years then I certainly would) the Ryzen 5000 series chips will be released and should offer great gaming performance and good value. And even if you're not looking to spend that much the Ryzen 3000 CPU's should see a reasonable discount after they're released and readily available. For the timeframe you're looking to keep the CPU for I'd say stretch to an 8 core/16 thread model if you can.

Intel's 10600K is a very good gaming CPU too and worth considering, but again, see what the new AMD CPU's bring to the table.

Permabanned
I disagree. My 4690K was heavily limiting my FPS in many titles when I was using a 980Ti with my 1440p 165Hz monitor. Upgrading to the 8700K I currently use the performance uplift was massive, from an average of about 75-85FPS with dips to the mid 40's and CPU usage pegged at 100% all the time all the way up to an average of around 100 and crucially lows above 75. War Thunder and several other games saw big increases too so I would definitely recommend upgrading. The OP would see huge differences in many titles with a 2070S, particularly in newer titles.

In terms of which CPU if you can wait a couple of months (and if you want it to last 3-4 years then I certainly would) the Ryzen 5000 series chips will be released and should offer great gaming performance and good value. And even if you're not looking to spend that much the Ryzen 3000 CPU's should see a reasonable discount after they're released and readily available. For the timeframe you're looking to keep the CPU for I'd say stretch to an 8 core/16 thread model if you can.

Intel's 10600K is a very good gaming CPU too and worth considering, but again, see what the new AMD CPU's bring to the table.

Did you misread my post? I am just not sure what you are on about there since you mention upgrading the GPU but I was talking about upgrading the CPU. To be clear, there would be a significant, very noticeable upgrade with the graphics card, but I think upgrading the CPU there would be far less of a noticeable difference.

Caporegime
He's on a 7600K and recently upgraded his GPU from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 2070 Super, now his 7600K is running at 100% load in games and the GPU is bottlenecked.

He wants to upgrade the CPU, its the right thing to do, it needs it.

Associate
Did you misread my post? I am just not sure what you are on about there since you mention upgrading the GPU but I was talking about upgrading the CPU. To be clear, there would be a significant, very noticeable upgrade with the graphics card, but I think upgrading the CPU there would be far less of a noticeable difference.

On the contrary you've clearly misread mine. Have a look, I pointed out when I moved to an 8700K I saw a significant uplift in performance while using a 980 Ti, and later said that with a faster GPU like his 2070S he'd see even bigger gains.

Nowhere did I mention upgrading his GPU, as he's already quite heavily limited in some scenarios that would compound the issue.

Permabanned
On the contrary you've clearly misread mine. Have a look, I pointed out when I moved to an 8700K I saw a significant uplift in performance while using a 980 Ti, and later said that with a faster GPU like his 2070S he'd see even bigger gains.

Nowhere did I mention upgrading his GPU, as he's already quite heavily limited in some scenarios that would compound the issue.

I see.. Although I still disagree, but there you go, lol.

Associate
Odd, my 2600 is pretty balanced with a 5700xt at 1440p and the OP cpu should be faster at least in single thread. Possibly starting to feel the thread deficit.

Associate
Odd, my 2600 is pretty balanced with a 5700xt at 1440p and the OP cpu should be faster at least in single thread. Possibly starting to feel the thread deficit.
Yeah it's not 2012 anymore, majority of games since around 2016 benefit heavily from 8+ threads. 4 threaded CPU will cause 100% usage with stutter and low GPU usage.
First game that caused problems for me on a 2500k was battlefield 1. I think AC unity from 2014 also had problems on 4 threads
2500k 4.8 to 2600 r5 was night and day difference.

Associate
Yeah it's not 2012 anymore, majority of games since around 2016 benefit heavily from 8+ threads. 4 threaded CPU will cause 100% usage with stutter and low GPU usage.
First game that caused problems for me on a 2500k was battlefield 1. I think AC unity from 2014 also had problems on 4 threads

Likewise with BF1, and my friend (also on a 4690K) saw the same in AC (can't remember which). He's also finding now that running Discord in the background causes issues when gaming as the OP has found. 4 core has definitely run it's course.

Soldato
I want from Xeon E3 1230 V2,/Core i7 3770 and I saw some massive improvements in my modded Fallout 4 playthrough with a GTX1080. Much less stutter and minimums were upto 30% better:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/32182104/

Associate
Hey @spenncerr,

I have the exact same problem, have you figured it out yet?

I'm thinking of waiting for the Black Friday weekend, but this damn lockdown would give me sooo much time to game if I could find something now.

Associate
@GainMaster - are you able to report the boost in performance (before & after for fps, cpu usage)

I have the same setup - msi z270, i5 7600k & 2070S with similar Warzone issues. Curious as to what the performance gain was from this upgrade you did. I've got my eye on the Ryzen 5000 series.

Back
Top Bottom