i5-9600 Overclocking

Associate
So, having recently bought and built a 9600 based system I'm slightly bemused by having a play with the OC settings.

I'm on an Asus Strix-E board and having failed to get the automated utilities to work (constant crashing/failing to get through the process) I've gone back to good old manual OC'ing.

The strangeness occurs when I manually set the core multiplier (sync'd cores - 50x). It will happily boot to windows with 1.35V adaptive, but when I run a stress test like p95 the clock speed immediately drops to somewhere in the 3.5Ghz region and then bounces around 4.2-4.4.

Temps are all fine, with nothing getting above 50C. The voltage drops quite a bit, down to just over 1V but that's usually when the multiplier drops down to 8-10 so I don't think that's related.

I've watched a few videos and had a bit of a google but I'm out of ideas. Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? It feels like there's some sort of artificial thermal throttling going on except it's not taking notice of the actual temps on the chip...

Edit: as soon as the stress test stops, the clock bounces back up to 5.0Ghz before speedstep takes it back down for idling.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's looking a lot like thermal throttling now. Having run some more tests it seems like something is restricting the chip to 50C and that's why the multiplier is bouncing around so much.

To confirm I did test the windows settings (fresh install, power mode was set to balanced) but that didn't help. There's a huge amount of power control based acronyms that I don't recognise so I'm currently going through the bios and googling what they all mean/do. Here's hoping that turns up an answer.

It all seems a bit odd though, because I watched this vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXH2YIMi2Y) which was good but my god it didn't need to be that long... and as far as I can see I used exactly the same manual method he did and he didn't have to change any power based settings.

Associate
OP
So I found it eventually by using the Intel XTU which pointed out that while I had increased 2 of the max current settings there was a 3rd that I hadn't noticed.

For reference, it was the cpu core current limit, long duration package power limit and also the short duration package power limit all had to be pushed off auto to a high value. I've read some bits and pieces which suggested auto should work, but then Asus also claim that their AI overclocking tool will do the job too... which it didn't.

I set the cpu core curent to the 255 allowable max and the boosts up to 400 and that's done the job, no more multiplier jumping around!

Associate
Doing a bit of experimenting myself but haven't had much time. Running a 9600K and an Asus prime z390-a. Ended up using the 1-click 5Ghz OC option in the BIOS which has been rock stable :) Looking forward to getting into the manual settings - any chance you could post yours in XTU as a reference?

Back
Top Bottom