• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 or i7 for university?

Associate
i7, once he has a computer it will be with him for the length of his course, so you want it future proofed.

(make sure he backs up regularly)

Soldato
Yeah, visual studio will be mega fun on a dual core.

Very dependant on what you're doing. My office laptop is an ivybridge i5 with 16gb memory, and runs VS without problems. Typically have 2-6 solutions open at once, plus some SQL query windows. Compilation times are around 3-5 seconds, for fairly serious MVC projects.

Unless you're doing graphics-heavy stuff, you don't need a quad core, imho. The only time I would think it would matter is if the uni provides some heavyweight libraries that you're expected to compile into your own code.

(My student laptop was a Celeron 600... still enough to play Star Wars Pod Racer during lectures :p)

Back
Top Bottom