i5 or i7?

Associate
Hi guys, sorry but its another spec me thread but I didn't put it in the title to draw you in :p

Current system which is pretty much just for gaming is a [email protected] AMD 9750 with a 256 SATA SSD, most of which was purchased 2009 so my philosophy is buy well and you don't need to upgrade to often

Its now time for a complete upgrade and I am pretty sold on a X99 i7 5820k with a corsair h2o cooler, 950 pro 512g and a 980ti but i do have some questions

I hear the i7 is over kill for gaming argument but have read that you will not get the full speed/ benefit of the 950 pro or the 980ti with out the X99 factor, is this the case? if not and a i5 system could make the most of both of these then i would rethink the i7

With the memory, I take it the best way is 4 sticks on the X99 format to get the quad channel but if I was to go i5 then is 2 sticks is better or does it not matter?

I don't mean to sound glib but budget is what it is tbh as the cost between the i5 and i7 is going to be pretty big but I don't mind spending more if its a better performing more future proof system.
I will overclock to a point where it is stable on reasonable heat but i'm not one for benching so I will get it stable and just leave it where it lands

I have looked at the 8 pack bundled systems but they always seem to be out of stock even though the individual components are in stock so are those systems the best of components or are they a compromise between power and price?

Thanks for any advice/ specs

Associate
OP
Thank you guys a lot of food for thought there but I'm still undecided :confused:
2 - Get an i7 on Z170. Option 2 is still the fastest for gaming at the moment even if you had a 5960X.

Yashiro, that's an option I had not considered, what makes the Z170 platform a better gaming option over the X99 atm?

I'm really falling for the i5 option now as this is purely a gaming rig, all I really need to know is will an i5 bottle neck the 950 pro or the 980ti at all? if not then I think that's the way to go

Cheers again for the advice

Associate
OP
cheers guys, decided to go the route of skylake primarily due to the eurogamer vid yashiro posted

Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom