• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-1185G7 For Virtual Machines / SQL

Associate
I’m looking at a laptop that has this processor with 32GB RAM (DELL xps 9310), id like to run about 3 vms (Domain Controller, Server and a Client), and also a local install of sql server on it, plus google chrome, slack, vpn client and Remote Desktop.

Im not really that knowledgeable about Windows laptop processors as I usually buy MacBooks although need this for work, just wondering if anyone has any experience of running this CPU and what the performance is like please ?

Man of Honour
Have you considered a Ryzen equivalent as you can get double the cores and threads for similar money? The Intel might do better on single thread performance but I imagine that would be outweighed by the better multithreading for the use case you described

Associate
RAM is probably fine but the i7-1185G7 is a four core, if you really want to multitask as you say I would want more cores so I would definitely consider a Ryzen laptop.

I have a i7-1065G7, an Ice Lake four core. It's pretty punchy and does what I need even with a single VM instance, but wouldn't go beyond that if I want to do plenty of work in addition.

Associate
OP
OK thank you all for the suggestions, and thanks tommoT.Striker for the comparison with your machine, ive cancelled the order due to the processor being slightly underpowered. I understand these processors are lower TDP due to thermals due to being targeted for ultra books from what I can gather with my limited reading up on them the weekend.

Ill prob just end up with a new MacBook again and forget about running VMs locally lol

Soldato
OK thank you all for the suggestions, and thanks tommoT.Striker for the comparison with your machine, ive cancelled the order due to the processor being slightly underpowered. I understand these processors are lower TDP due to thermals due to being targeted for ultra books from what I can gather with my limited reading up on them the weekend.

Ill prob just end up with a new MacBook again and forget about running VMs locally lol

I think the Mac would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom