• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-3970x vs Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2

Soldato
OP
Incredible, I've literally just realised that the Xeons have this Spectre_Meltdown "patch" in Windows to protect against the security breaches on the pre 2017 is it Intels? However, little did I realise how it effects performance... On v's Off. All my benchmarks have now gone up by various %.

Spectre_Meltdown_1.jpg

Spectre_Meltdown.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Incredible, I've literally just realised that the Xeons have this Spectre_Meltdown "patch" in Windows to protect against the security breaches on the pre 2017 is it Intels? However, little did I realise how it effects performance... On v's Off. All my benchmarks have now gone up by various %.

Great stuff. I have it all turned off as well on Intel machines.

How much did you pay for the Xeon, if you don't mind saying?
And did you get hit with any import duty?

Soldato
OP
Great stuff. I have it all turned off as well on Intel machines.

How much did you pay for the Xeon, if you don't mind saying?
And did you get hit with any import duty?
Hi matey, I got it from down south and paid £140 delivered which tbh for the power and saves me upgrading anything is an absolute steal. You may be able to get cheaper on certain Asian sites but tbh, I'd prefet to have something like this just get to me soon as possible. Have to admit I['m astouned it clocks so well and so stable, hopefully it stays that way as it'll give me a few more years on this rig as long as I upgrade GPU as and when. I may just sell my i7-3970x 6 core on now as well as my i7-3820 4 core and get some coinage back.

Soldato
Fair play. That's a good price and a lot less that when I was looking into them a while ago.
I had a 4960X and a Rampage black edition board a few years ago. The CPU ran well at 4.6 and I was very happy with it. Unfortunately the board's bios got corrupted and replacements were very expensive. So I moved on to a Skylake 6700K. It would've lasted me a lot longer and would still be very good to this day.
If a X79 board comes up on the MM for cheap enough, I'd like to get one to have a play with again.

Soldato
OP
Well, its' great to see us "older" tech folk can still hold our own and to me this really does point, that in Intels case, other than MHZ, I'm stuggling to see how we're in a better place CPU wise in 8 years... only AMD seem to have made great leaps in their IPC, while Intel just keep throwing mhz at the problem... I would LOVE to see a modern 8 core Intel declocked to say 4.6ghz like my XEON from 2013 and lets just see what improvements we really have!

Back
Top Bottom