• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz Bottleneck 3080?

Associate
Current Setup:
I7 5820K @ 4.5GHz / Triple Rad Custom Loop
Corsair HX1200i / Corsair 450D Case
16GB Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
Asus X99-E
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

Managed to get pretty low in the queue for a 3080 MSI Gaming but after doing a bit of reading im starting to think i might be bottlenecked by my CPU. Been solid for the past 4 years.

I game at 1440p 144hz that's the main reason im going for the 3080 as my 1070 is struggling to hit 144fps in some of the newer titles.

Any thoughts? Should i think about an upgrade in the near future or will i be fine for another while?

Soldato
Use MSI Afterburner's OSD to monitor your GPU/CPU usage and you'll find out for sure.

There might be a bit of a bottleneck at 1440P but I don't imagine it'll be huge.

That said, with Zen 3 launching November 5th it could be a good time to upgrade, especially if you sell your old CPU/Mobo.

Associate
OP
I haven't been looking seriously at AMD but with all the new offerings i might wait out see what Zen 3 is like and make a decision then.

Be nice to have that extra core count for streaming and video rendering aswell.

Soldato
If you do other workloads that benefit the cores it could be worth splurging on a 5900X, I'd be extremely tempted in your position.

From the information we have so far Zen 3 is basically the best processor line up you can buy outside of one or or two niche tasks that might still benefit Intel.

Soldato
To a certain extent, sure, but I would say not enough to warrant an upgrade necessarily. I have a similar CPU (6800K) and am not worried about it for 1440p 120hz. For really heavy games you'll still be mostly GPU bound and for the odd games that are really CPU heavy they usually are more API/Software bound and there's no CPU which will allow you quite that great performance anyway (f.ex. AC Odyssey etc).

Associate
OP
Thanks! Im looking at the 5900X and it looks like it's perfect for what i do, if im good for 1440p then i might wait until the new year and then maybe just go fot it. Should be pretty future proof as well considering the socket and stuff.

You don't need the new card to see what your CPU is capable of. Just turn the res right down and see how high it can go.
Okay i will give that a go and see what im coming out at. Thanks!

Associate
You don't need the new card to see what your CPU is capable of. Just turn the res right down and see how high it can go.

This is good advice. If you use the lowest possible video card settings you can for a game it will mean the video card can spit out some arbitrarily high frame rate and shift the bottleneck onto the CPU and that'll tell you how much the CPU will max out on, with any specific game. If you do this and you get say 100fps in a modern game and you want 144 then no GPU upgrade will help, you'll need a faster CPU.

Associate
OP
This is good advice. If you use the lowest possible video card settings you can for a game it will mean the video card can spit out some arbitrarily high frame rate and shift the bottleneck onto the CPU and that'll tell you how much the CPU will max out on, with any specific game. If you do this and you get say 100fps in a modern game and you want 144 then no GPU upgrade will help, you'll need a faster CPU.

Just tried this with modern warfare and im getting 160FPS with res at 720p (any less i couldn't read the FPS counter or text) so im assuming i should be able to hit that max if the GPU is capable? Seems i should be okay for a while.

Thanks for the info everyone seems i can use this on some other games i play and see what my expected FPS before the card arrives!

Not really as AM4 is a dead platform with AM5 round the corner.

Started looking into this so AM5 might be the one to wait for considering they will use it for the next 3/4 realeases if i can hold out with my current CPU.

Associate
Just tried this with modern warfare and im getting 160FPS with res at 720p (any less i couldn't read the FPS counter or text) so im assuming i should be able to hit that max if the GPU is capable? Seems i should be okay for a while.

Thanks for the info everyone seems i can use this on some other games i play and see what my expected FPS before the card arrives!

Basically that's the frame rate the CPU can sustain, if you have a GPU that can keep up with whatever video settings you want to use, that's the max frame rate you can expect. That balance between CPU demands and GPU demands is different per game, so just keep in mind that different games might yeild higher or lower maximum fps.

Associate
I'm in the same boat, i7-5930K 12 thread, 3.7Ghz.
On the other hand I'm planning to do VR - I have a HP Reverb - 2000x4000 pixels at 90hz which is probably even more GPU-bound..

Frankly I'm debating trying to sell my entire setup (3080 + OldMobo + OldCPU) when my early-ish order of 3080 TUF arrives, and get a 3080-20Gb + Zen 3

Associate
I'm in the same boat, i7-5930K 12 thread, 3.7Ghz.
On the other hand I'm planning to do VR - I have a HP Reverb - 2000x4000 pixels at 90hz which is probably even more GPU-bound..

Frankly I'm debating trying to sell my entire setup (3080 + OldMobo + OldCPU) when my early-ish order of 3080 TUF arrives, and get a 3080-20Gb + Zen 3

I’m pretty much in the same boat in thinking about trying to sell my entire system (and waiting to see if a 3080 20GB version comes to fruition - or big navi)

I have the following mAtx setup:-

Corsair Air 240 case
EVGA micro 2 X99 m/b
i7-5930k o/c to 4.2ghz with
Corsair Hydro h100i CPU cooler
2 x Titan Xp (one with EVGA hybrid cooler)
Corsair 1000w ATX PSU
32GB Corsair vengeance RAM
500GB M.2
3TB SSD
250GB HDD

It’s a cracking setup for a SFF build which sits very nicely in our lounge Tv cabinet but not sure I’d there’d by a market for it

Associate
Obviously though I don't want to wait to "March" or something before 20GB things are around. I have serious VR to do, escaping from the Covid Brexit hellscape.
But yeah, I'm early-ish in the queue for a 3080 so selling it immediately might get me decent price for the entire rig.

Associate
It’s a cracking setup for a SFF build which sits very nicely in our lounge Tv cabinet but not sure I’d there’d by a market for it

Eh, I like ebay. Usually it's free to post pieces of kit, (not free when you sell of course..) and just set a price that you'd actually be happy with selling it for. If someone bites, great, if not, fine.

I need to make up my mind shortly what my i5930K + gigabyte X99 + 20GB ram + 1TB m2 SSD + 512GB PCI-e SSD + 3080 RTX + 850W PSU should go for. Handwavey, I think if I can get 1300 for the lot I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom