• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k overclocking problems

Associate
Really new to overclocking, just followed a random guide from linustechtips
Motherboard is asus sabertooth 170 s
i7 6700k

Whenever i try and overclock to for example 4.5ghz and voltage 1.345 CPU z and any other program show that its at 4ghz and not 4.5ghz. Also, about every minute or so, the cpu fan just goes mental for about 5-8 seconds and then goes back down to normal, im assuming by that the temperature sky rockets, and this is in idle not even considering under load. not to sure what im doing wrong or what to do, thanks.

Soldato
You need to use something like CPU-Z to see what the clock speed is.
Many apps will just pick up the default clockspeed of the processor. I think Windows picks mine up as 4.0Ghz but if I kick off a hefty program I can see it hitting 4.5 using CPU-Z.
As a complete newbie you could try the Asus tool and it will overclock for you. Go to the support pages for your mobo. I now use it to control the fans. I used to find the fans ramping up and down a bit annoying when just doing low-load stuff but now set the fans to silent mode.
Sure, some will frown at using an Overclocking utility but if we're getting close to autonoumous driving cars, I'm fairly sure software can find the ultimate settings for a PC system better than most of us can :)

Associate
OP
I have cpu z and it stays at 4ghz even under load, whats this asus overclocking tool it sounds interesting. i do use some asus fan control thing and its always been in silent mode so my case fans dont move unless under load, even with that the cpu temp just jumps to about 70 and obvs there cant be any silent mode then so its just the cpu fan that goes crazy not the case fans. is it normal for the cpu fan to keep revving every minute or so?

Soldato
It's the DIP5 tool. You'll find it under utilities in the support section for your mobo.
I was just playing around with it really but find it useful. It recommended running mine at 4.5 for two cores and 4.4 all four which is not far off the 4.5 all four I was running it at. I do find the fan speed control very good. In silent mode my case fans can turn off completely .

Back
Top Bottom