• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 7700k CPU usage

Associate
just got the the core i7 7700k and the aorus gaming 7 motherboard, and i noticed the cpu usage its very sporadic, for example when i watch a youtube video it goes to around 30/40% cpu usage and thats just for 1080p, i can also only have about5 chrome tabs open before the usage goes to about 60% my 5 year old non gaming motherboard and cpu performed better than these two i used to have about 20 tabs open for reference images and was able to watch 4k youtube without my cpu usage going above 15% , is there something i have to change or set up to sort this out or are they just poor quality parts?

Soldato
Sounds like you have got a rogue process which is chewing up CPU cycles. Did you check the process list in Task Manager? Was it Chrome in both cases causing the problem? If so try it with a different browser, perhaps it is a badly behaved Chrome extension.

I have some Logitech peripherals and recently discovered that the Logitech gaming software was loading an applet even though I had it disabled. This was chewing up 15% CPU for no reason.

Associate
OP
Sounds like you have got a rogue process which is chewing up CPU cycles. Did you check the process list in Task Manager? Was it Chrome in both cases causing the problem? If so try it with a different browser, perhaps it is a badly behaved Chrome extension.

I have some Logitech peripherals and recently discovered that the Logitech gaming software was loading an applet even though I had it disabled. This was chewing up 15% CPU for no reason.
yeah its been chrome both times, when i have no extensions what so ever (even removed the google ones) guess i might have to downgrade to edge or firefox, wonder if the new version of chrome is bust as its been about two weeks since i used it on my old pc

my old cpu was a I7-5820k 6 core

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
hm ok im on 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) as well, i know on my old cpu chrome used less than 7% but that was a few weeks ago and that version of chrome was about a year old

Associate
OP
hm i "think" it may be corsair link after closing that i can watch that 4k video full screen at 20% (thats with a few other pages open)

Associate
OP
just wondering do ram speeds affect cpu usage? i have Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit - Black and noticed mine is only running at 1333mhz, is there a way to fix this?

V F

V F

Soldato
Generally less than 7% CPU usage of my 7700K when playing this 4k video at 60fps.

I don't know what to make of that. The action looks great with the robots fighting, buildings exploding, cars moving at 60fps but once the people come on... It looks like cheesy TV footage. Soaps/CSI or something along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom