• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-8700 to a i9-9900ks worth it?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm a few generations behind hardware-wise I know but system working well for my gaming needs but contemplating going from i7-8700 to a i9-9900ks.
I have a B360M BAZOOKA motherboard which I believe is socket 1151 (B360 chipset). From what I understand the 9900K is the fastest CPU I can go to with the 's' version being unlocked. Pre-owned price on the upgraded CPU seems to be around £290ish.

A few stats on the 2 cpus:

8700 - 6 Cores, 12 Threads @3.2GHz,
9900K - 8 Cores, 16 Threads @4.00 GHz,

I have 32gb ram and a 3060 RTX. I don't game at a high res as I only have a smallish screen - 23".

Do you think this would give a noticeable upgrade? I don't want to replace the whole system just yet.

Thank you

Last edited:
Man of Honour
a bit pointless as the 9900k will be power throttled because the VRMs on the B360 bazooka isn't great
the B360 boards also do not allow overclocking even if the VRMs of the board was good

tl;dr, don't bother

Man of Honour
Could you not throw a Xeon in there?
Unfortunately Intel canned support (I mean, being able to run them on regular boards) for Xeons from 6th gen, but even if you used a modded board, the 9th gen Xeons (from what I've seen) are even more outrageously priced used.

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately Intel canned support (I mean, being able to run them on regular boards) for Xeons from 6th gen, but even if you used a modded board, the 9th gen Xeons (from what I've seen) are even more outrageously priced used.
I thought that Xeons depreciated so fast because there are so many of them? I remember the 775/771 mod. I was right on the edge of trying it on my MSI P35 platinum. Never got around to it in the end. But still,why would intel bin support for Xeons? It's not like Richard or Shaniqua is gonna be an expert on motherboard cpus.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I thought that Xeons depreciated so fast because there are so many of them?
Yeah, but since 8th gen they're actually pretty rare and the used prices are often higher than the equivalent i5/i7. The 8 cores are very rare indeed and they have a price tag to match. I doubt the OP could get a 9900K/KS equivalent cheaper (I think is E-2278G & E-2288G)

I'd imagine the price will drop quickly when their usefulness has diminished and the CPU rarity is irrelevant, just because there's going to be so few motherboards that support them. I know you can download a mod for your BIOS, but most users don't want to do that and it can have limitations where support of some features of the CPU/board are dropped, you have to use a specific BIOS version regardless of security updates, etc.

But still,why would intel bin support for Xeons? It's not like Richard or Shaniqua is gonna be an expert on motherboard cpus.
There were quite a few different opinions at the time, but I think the main theory was that Intel were having major manufacturing issues back then and it was easier to meet orders if the Xeons weren't compatible with the regular desktop line.

They have pretty much disappeared from the DIY market entirely now, the 11th-12th gen CPUs are rarely in stock and very few motherboards are available outside of the server boards like Supermicro make.

Man of Honour
I thought that Xeons depreciated so fast because there are so many of them?

Depends on the model and whether they are unlocked multis or not. The lower frequency, middle core count, Xeons are often plentiful and cheap but other configurations vary. But as Tetras said not commonly an option unfortunately on desktop platforms.

Soldato
I thought that Xeons depreciated so fast because there are so many of them? I remember the 775/771 mod. I was right on the edge of trying it on my MSI P35 platinum. Never got around to it in the end. But still,why would intel bin support for Xeons? It's not like Richard or Shaniqua is gonna be an expert on motherboard cpus.

Nothing Intel from that timeframe sold well. Everything was AMD.

Because Intel didn’t want the plebs using the highest binned chips. Richard’s must pay the highest possible price for the lowest quality chips + a new chipset.

Associate
Nothing Intel from that timeframe sold well. Everything was AMD.

Because Intel didn’t want the plebs using the highest binned chips. Richard’s must pay the highest possible price for the lowest quality chips + a new chipset.
What about Shaniqua though?

*I'd post the meme but I'd be banned faster than I get Oliver twist :p
*Has 6 kids from 8 different fathers :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom