• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-8700 to a i9-9900ks worth it?

Soldato
OP
a bit pointless as the 9900k will be power throttled because the VRMs on the B360 bazooka isn't great
the B360 boards also do not allow overclocking even if the VRMs of the board was good

tl;dr, don't bother

Just re-reading through thread and are you definitely sure this is the case?
I'm looking at CPU-Z now and multiplier auto jumping up and down etc. I thought overclocking was a pretty standard feature nowadays?

edit: you're right , there is no CPU OC on these B360's. The max multiplier it seems to go to (on this 8700) is x46. It looks like it's underclocking and then auto jumping (boost) back up when needed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
edit: you're right , there is no CPU OC on these B360's. The max multiplier it seems to go to (on this 8700) is x46. It looks like it's underclocking and then auto jumping (boost) back up when needed.
Intel didn't even enable memory overclocking on B boards until B560 :o

Soldato
Just re-reading through thread and are you definitely sure this is the case?
I'm looking at CPU-Z now and multiplier auto jumping up and down etc. I thought overclocking was a pretty standard feature nowadays?

You must pay for the chip and chipset plus the overclocking warranty!

Tis the Intel way.

Soldato
OP
If you can pick one up dirt cheap yes, I'm a believer of adding fresh life to old platforms and a 9900k isn't a slouch even by today's standards

Thanks darket, yeah i'm not ruling it out completely and have some active bookmark/flags for anything listed. And i like the idea of upgrading 1 part rather then the faff of a mobo/cpu/ram (and realise it's probably people like me who are keeping the demand/prices high on the older tech :D).

If it was a £100 upgrade I wouldn't think twice about it, it's just my original estimate of £290 for the 9900ks is on the low side and it would likely be around £350 which is quite a lot :)

If worst comes to it though system is running fine really for the stuff I use it for - just that upgrade itch is hard to quash sometimes :)

Soldato
And i like the idea of upgrading 1 part rather then the faff of a mobo/cpu/ram

Pretty sure the faff is about the same, given you'll need to remove your cooler, clean the IHS, clean the HS, re-paste, remount heatisink all inside the case etc. With the full upgrade you are taking out the whole board assembly and popping in the new one, just putting the cables back on the board, it also gives you a chance to give your case a darn good cleaning.

Soldato
That's more like what they should be priced at, tbh.

Just thinking about this I'd say no, still too expensive. You can get new 5600X at well under £100 now, and that will be faster (for games) than the 9900K hands down, draw a fraction of the power and can be run on at £50 motherboard. If anyone is on the 8th/9th Gen socket boards, you are still better off just selling to the people who think Intel 8th/9th gen are worth it, and changing out the board/CPU. I think it only make sense if you happen to have a very good motherboard (not this OP) and maybe a lower end i5-8400 and can get one for well under £100, even then you've got to ask how much benefit you'll really see.

Back
Top Bottom