• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 8700k Hitting 85c When rendering in Sony Vegas ?

Associate
My i7 8700k is Hitting 85c When rendering in Sony Vegas ? & hits 100% Load is this normal ?

The max it hits on Games on ultra is 65c ! so wondered why such a massive Jump when rendering ?

The CPU is water cooled.

Soldato
My i7 8700k is Hitting 85c When rendering in Sony Vegas ? & hits 100% Load is this normal ?

The max it hits on Games on ultra is 65c ! so wondered why such a massive Jump when rendering ?

The CPU is water cooled.

stress load is at max! like running Prime 95 on it! just have a look at your VRM temps to!
rendering always puts a massive strain on CPUs and VRMS! specially if your rendering for days on end! if doing long extended periods. may wish to de-clock a little/less voltage or invest in bigger cooling/de-lid!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Yup, games rarely use your CPU at max, or for prolonged periods of time.

Rendering will usually use as much CPU as you can give it for as long as is needed to complete the task, this in turn causes a higher power draw which produces more heat.

Soldato

The CPU is water cooled.
Sony Vegas is probably pushing all the cores at max plus the memory, games......most modern titles can use 4 or mores cores but they don't tend to be maxed out all the title due to most games being GPU bound which why your CPU runs hotter. It doesn't help that the £350 you handed over for your CPU has thermal compound between the die and HS supplied by the lowest bidder, if your worried by the temps you could delid and replace it.

Soldato
Which water cooler is it? Make sure the fans on it are set to spin fast when needed. Sometimes they are on quiet profiles by default.

And which case is it in?

Soldato
85 Celcius is fine, just try not to stray too far from this. As others have stated, depending on the rendering output there's likely AVX2 instructions involved - these pull a lot more current than games do.

Sony Vegas is probably pushing all the cores at max plus the memory, games......most modern titles can use 4 or mores cores but they don't tend to be maxed out all the title due to most games being GPU bound which why your CPU runs hotter. It doesn't help that the £350 you handed over for your CPU has thermal compound between the die and HS supplied by the lowest bidder, if your worried by the temps you could delid and replace it.

Do you actually know anything about the compound Intel use?

Soldato
85 Celcius is fine, just try not to stray too far from this. As others have stated, depending on the rendering output there's likely AVX2 instructions involved - these pull a lot more current than games do.

Do you actually know anything about the compound Intel use?

Yes. If his CPU is anything like mine then it's normally badly applied, spilling over onto the substrate. Over time the heat changes the paste goes through seems to effect the viscosity of the material which decreases it's thermal capacity and performance gets worse over time, it should be ok for stock (but not great) but hopeless for any long term overclocking. Looking at it's performance I would say it's most likely a generic compound supplied by Cooler Master under a white label (it's performance is comparable).

Soldato
Right, I'm still not seeing anything to back that up. What's funny is the viscosity is namely why it's used over other compounds in the first place, so you'd have to show some evidence to support such a claim. Maybe not here though.

Caporegime
Intel use cheap thermal compound under the heat spreader causing them to run hot.

If you want to fix that you have to pull the heat spreader off, apply better quality compound and glue the heat spreader back down, this will void the warranty and could damage or kill the CPU.

Soldato
Intel use cheap thermal compound under the heat spreader causing them to run hot.

If you want to fix that you have to pull the heat spreader off, apply better quality compound and glue the heat spreader back down, this will void the warranty and could damage or kill the CPU.
Be careful about accusing Intel using cheap thermal compound, it causes Silent_Scone to become quite a loud scone.

Back
Top Bottom