I7 8700k issue.

Associate
So built new rig couple days ago, everything was fine! Set up overclock and xmp for the ram.
3200mhz 1.2v/auto changed this morning to 1.4v/auto.

4.7ghz 1.3v although it seems to increase and decrease in hwmointor
Mobo is the gigabytes z370 ultra

It was weird woke up this morning before work and noticed the LED's on the mobo flashing on and off even though the pc was powered off! So I tried turning it on and the pc looked like it was posting but the small red mobo lights at the bottom the ones to show it's booting just kept going back and forth! The only way I could seem to get it to boot normally was if i turned power to the pc off from the mains and then turned it on again at which is worked fine no issues!

Haven't flashed bios yet and where the overclock was concerned I just did the standard 4.7 profile overclock on the mobo and set ram to xmp which is 3200mhz.

Specs
Gigabyte z370 ultra
Ddr4 8pack 3200mhz ram
Gigabyte 1080
650w supernova gold psu

May be worth a mention that I also changed monitor last night and it was acting abit weird but don't see why that would matter!
Also wondering if it was just a case of because the ram voltage was set to auto/1.2v it wasn't enough juice

One last queation how do I take it off auto because it'll spike to like 1.38 sometimes just want to keep it at a steady 1.3v

Last edited:
Soldato
I use [email protected] with a -2 AVX Offset but that's with an Asus Motherboard. Make sure you have the AVX offset or you will get silly temps. Make sure you have set the CPU wattage/power limits to 140% (If there is that option) and Medium LLC. This is cooled with a H100 with custom fan profile so its pretty silent.

Associate
OP
Haven't reset or flashed bios yet! I mean it all seemed fine when i put it together and overclocked it!
Not sure what it is, just knew something was off because the mobo rgb' s were flashing on and off while pc was switched off!
I mean if i left it trying to boot it would eventually just switch off! So unless it was just because my ram voltage was set too low but i enabled xmp which i thought did it for you?

Associate
I would certainly update the BIOS - updates tend to be pretty important in the first months of a new boards life. Use @BIOS in the win apps.

If you are overclocking on a type of board you haven't used before, then I would always recommend running the default settings for at least a week so you get to find any issues not due to overclocking. If you overclock straight away you have no idea whether it's the equipment or the overclock that's causing the problem. So, set everything to default and take the RAM off XMP and go from there. Don't forget that even if the board won't overclock the RAM to 3200MHz you can always decrease the RAM timing to get pretty much the same effect. I believe that RAM will reduce to C10 at 2133Mhz? And yes, I wouldn't use the auto. Auto is a good indication of what it will do but you can do better manually. Auto modes do tend to be a bit buggy. Asus MCE tends to lock the PC up!

Back
Top Bottom