i7 8700k Kraken x52 bad temps

Associate
Hello everyone,
So I've been playing around with my i7 8700k and looking for a good sweet spot for performance vs temperatures. I noticed that at a laughable 1.136v 4.5GHz clock my temps are ridiculous, with core#2 reaching around/over 81c.
I am running a Strix Z370-F and a Kraken x52 AIO.
Enhanced Turbo Boost is off and all of that automatic adjustment jazz.
AIDA64 stress test:
https://ibb.co/hy72Uz

I've re-seated the cooler once already and also switched out the thermal paste to Arctic Silver IV and haven't seen much of a difference.
Is the TIM on it really that horrible or am I doing something wrong?

Associate
OP
I know they're not max temps, I idle at 35c plus-minus. For gaming, I think I had around 65c but I don't have time to run any tests atm. My point is that people can hit 4.9GHz at around 1.25v and still barely hit the 80's in temperature while when I go for this kind of overclock, I am reaching 95c AIDA64 stress testing.

Associate
OP
Yeah I guess I will have to delid to be comfortable with my cpu. It's something that I'm not really confident in as it would be my first, and bricking a brand new 8700k is the last thing I want to do lol. I have really good airflow in my case, I have a Corsair Crystal 570x (3 fans front & 1 exhaust). Positive pressure, I run them at 60% for low noise, but the high temps are achieved pretty much from the start and they don't really go down, only a little up once the liquid temp hits 37c. I am sure though that a 240 rad isn't that bad?

Associate
OP
How old is your Kraken x52 CLC? While all CLCs are a sub-group of AIO, they are factory sealed systems and not at all like AIOs that have threaded fittings, copper radiators, fill port for sevicing and a better pump. Kraken X52 is Asetek OEM. Some of us think they are not worth using.
It's brand new. I know that even air coolers can match or even outperform AIO's but I just went with aesthetics and ease of use. Once again, I am pretty sure that this cooler should be able to handle 1.13v a little better! Didn't really consider a custom loop as that costs more money and requires more knowledge... I guess.

Back
Top Bottom