• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 8700K OC Question

Associate
Gone from 4770k to 8700k - couldnt be happier with the performance gain. So now it comes tp overclocking.. Heres how easy i achieved 5ghz, and my question about safe voltages.

mobo asrock z370 extreme4
i changed to All cores, 5ghz
vcore i changed to offset and voltage +50ma

under stress testing the vcore voltage goes as high as 1.37v - temps are in the 60c range spiking around 70 ( h115i cooler ) which i dont think is too bad considering this hot weather were having and i imagine under normal weather conditions that could drop 5-10c.

So my question... is 1.37v spikes on vcore acceptable?

Associate
perfectly fine up to 1.42v or 1.45v (if you ballsy). In fact, according to Intel spreadsheet for 8th gen, they can take and work normally with spike up to 1.502v.

Soldato
1.375 is OCUK's recommended for their binned 5ghz chips, so it's fine. The smallprint on their warranty lets you take them up to 1.4 for 24/7.

I'm impressed if you're keeping it under 70 through Prime 95... I have the same cooler and touch 80 at similar volts. Which could well mean my cooler isn't quite right, but nevermind, it's never going to throttle while gaming so worrying is pointless :)

...I really need to get on and change from fixed vcore to offset, but that means another round of stress testing and I'm actually using my PC for important stuff right now x(

Soldato
Gone from 4770k to 8700k - couldnt be happier with the performance gain. So now it comes tp overclocking.. Heres how easy i achieved 5ghz, and my question about safe voltages.

mobo asrock z370 extreme4
i changed to All cores, 5ghz
vcore i changed to offset and voltage +50ma

under stress testing the vcore voltage goes as high as 1.37v - temps are in the 60c range spiking around 70 ( h115i cooler ) which i dont think is too bad considering this hot weather were having and i imagine under normal weather conditions that could drop 5-10c.

So my question... is 1.37v spikes on vcore acceptable?

Yes you are fine. Don't forget to overclock the Ring now. 4.5 as bare minimum, 4.8+ preferable
4770K had the ring running at same speed as the CPU with CFL thats not the case.

Back
Top Bottom