• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I7 8700K Running hot... or is it?

Associate
After a bit of advice, just built up my new desktop with spec as per the signature. My CPU Cooler is the NZXT Kraken X62 with pull set up but I'm finding on some games it's warning me my CPU is too hot (hitting temps of 81 degrees on BF1).

I'm trying to figure out where I may be going wrong but thought I would check, I understand the 8700k does run hot but this has not yet been overclocked and I'm now conscious whether I should if it's getting these temps already. Is there anything I'm missing? Or have I maybe done something wrong?

Associate
After a bit of advice, just built up my new desktop with spec as per the signature. My CPU Cooler is the NZXT Kraken X62 with pull set up but I'm finding on some games it's warning me my CPU is too hot (hitting temps of 81 degrees on BF1).

I'm trying to figure out where I may be going wrong but thought I would check, I understand the 8700k does run hot but this has not yet been overclocked and I'm now conscious whether I should if it's getting these temps already. Is there anything I'm missing? Or have I maybe done something wrong?
81 degrees, is within the boundaries of acceptable temps. Also bf1 is CPU intensive.

Associate
Are your pump & fans set to performance mode? I also added two fans to the initial two for push/pull on my kraken and it made a huge difference.

For reference on mine I see load temps of 60 ish whilst gaming and that's overclocked to 5GHz.

Vir

Vir

Associate
I've had things like this before with previous CPU's. If all voltage settings are correct and the case has good enough airflow I'd suggest trying to refit the cooler (with new cooling pasta), it could be just not seated 100% correctly. I've had this 3 times with different systems over the years.

Associate
I've had things like this before with previous CPU's. If all voltage settings are correct and the case has good enough airflow I'd suggest trying to refit the cooler (with new cooling pasta), it could be just not seated 100% correctly. I've had this 3 times with different systems over the years.

where can i get some cooling pasta? Sorry someone had to ask

Soldato
If it's peaking at 81 degrees but the average is much cooler then I would not worry. The game is intensive, Intel uses toothpaste in the CPU, check your voltages etc. I see you have a ASUS board so by default Multi core enhancement is enabled which in effect pushes up the clock speed profile with more cores active vs the Intel profile.

Would double check cooler mounting also.

Associate
my 8700k is overclocked to 4.8 ( stock voltage ) - all cores + HT active.. only does 59/60 in BF1 ( GTX 1080 ) - asrock z370 extreme4 mobo, corsair h115i. 81 does look abit hot. Got h115i top mounted with fans pulling air in. ( cosmos s case - c700p ordered ).

Associate
my 8700k is overclocked to 4.8 ( stock voltage ) - all cores + HT active.. only does 59/60 in BF1 ( GTX 1080 ) - asrock z370 extreme4 mobo, corsair h115i. 81 does look abit hot. Got h115i top mounted with fans pulling air in. ( cosmos s case - c700p ordered ).
what is stock voltage?

Associate
ive not changed the voltage, its spiked at 1.18 at 4.8ghz on all cores locked with HT - 65c in prime95..

im thinking of deliding it, looks pretty simple with the new kits available, been building pcs 20 odd yrs but never delided a chip - i want that magic 5ghz mark, although ive not really pushed it yet to see what it will do as is, but from what ive seen of other 8700 results it seems i got a great chip. Wonder if theres anyone local to Rotherham who delids ^_^

Associate
ive not changed the voltage, its spiked at 1.18 at 4.8ghz on all cores locked with HT - 65c in prime95..

im thinking of deliding it, looks pretty simple with the new kits available, been building pcs 20 odd yrs but never delided a chip - i want that magic 5ghz mark, although ive not really pushed it yet to see what it will do as is, but from what ive seen of other 8700 results it seems i got a great chip. Wonder if theres anyone local to Rotherham who delids ^_^
have you tested the minimum voltage it needs for Cinebench R15?

Associate
This hot weather isn't helping much, my 8700k normally around mid 50's when gaming @4.8Ghz but has shot up to high 60's and even goes well into the 70's with some games in this blistering heat, I've dialed my overclock back to 4.7Ghz @1.2v till this heat sods off and now in mid 60s. Make sure to set your own voltage as the default settings can push way more than is actually needed.

Edit, just had a play with Wreckfest and my temps are back upto high 70's and a couple of cores hit low 80's but my god my room is very hot right now. Roll on Winter.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Probably down to the crap TIM they use, when i delidded my 6700k last year the application was pathetic.

scmKmdX.jpg

Barely any real coverage on most of the core and a thick coverage on a few small parts of it.

Caporegime
^ hahahahahaha

Its pathetic, they just dollop this stuff on and hope for the best. You can see most of the core was barely touched at all, at best it was fractionally touching which obviously would do almost bugger all to transfer the heat to the ihs.

If intel are too cheap to use solder (despite their hurr durr bs of it cracking) then why not the liquid metal route? Or would that take too long for them to do properly?

Back
Top Bottom