i7 920 Bundle + Hyper threading

Soldato
Just looking for some advice here. Basically my i7 920 @ 4GHz bundle arrived yesterday and I have built it into my old Antec 1200. After installing the drivers I ran prime95 which reached temps of 79-83 C (4GHz) after 7 mins or so before BSOD.

I have gone into bios, turned off HT and reduced the Vcore to default (some 4 or 5 notches lower than what it was at) and tried prime95 again. This time it completed 1hr of the prime95 blend test before I stopped it. Temps reached between 8 and 10 C less than previously. I have read that HT requires more Vcore but I'm worried about temps that way. Do you have any advice? Is HT really worth leaving on ?

Stooeh

P.S I feel I should mention that I'm using the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste as no AS5 came with the bundle. The invoice seemed to indicate that AS5 should have been present but quick look online seems to show that the noctua stuff is quite comparable ?

Soldato
If you have brought the ocuk bundle i would send them a webnote for support RJ has advised us thats it hard for them to offer support if us lot are trying to give you advise as well, as there the ones who built it and your warrenty is with :p. If its a self build let us know and we can try a few settings :D

PS my view is if you need to turn of HT you have just wasted your money on a quad core

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
please post support issues in the customer service forum

please dont mess with the bios as it becomes a nightmare to support

Back
Top Bottom