• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 CPU upgrade or not ?

Associate
OP
Sorry I should add.
Mixed use, Internet etc and a few Games.
No problem with PC, running Win 10 on Samsung EVO 850. (+2 EVO 840s for games and documents etc)
It's just that I have had this system for several years now, and normally I have had to upgrade by now, so basically do I stay with what I have or not?

i7-2600k + GA-P67A-UD4 B3 motherboard
Noctua DH-14 Cooler
Kingston Hyper X 8GB 1600mhz Kit
MSI Radeon R9 280X

Soldato
If you fancy a project go for it, otherwise if it works just carry on as you are.

I recently upgraded from an i5-760 setup which was start to become a little slow, still completely reliable though. My new Ryzen 1700 build is a lot faster as you would expect compared to a several year old machine.

Soldato
Is your CPU overclocked? If not then you could get some free performance from that, and if you do decide to upgrade, pick up 8GB RAM and a new graphics card and you are good for probably another 12-18 months on the base system.

This is why people are frustrated at Intel, in years gone by the the CPU you had from 5 years ago now would be useless, and getting outperformed by 300% or something equally crazy. :)

Soldato
I say the same thing on every thread like this, which is I see no reason to upgrade unless an upgrade will bring you something you really need such as more cores or a motherboard specific feature. The 2600k is an amazing chip, overclocked it's still well up there with the big and expensive quad cores of today. I see no reason to change mine for a while yet.

Associate
I keep getting the same itch to upgrade but just don't see the need spending the money, been running brilliantly since 2011 and shows no sign of any issues so may keep going another year, definitely money well spent.

Associate
Sorry I should add.
Mixed use, Internet etc and a few Games.
No problem with PC, running Win 10 on Samsung EVO 850. (+2 EVO 840s for games and documents etc)
It's just that I have had this system for several years now, and normally I have had to upgrade by now, so basically do I stay with what I have or not?

i7-2600k + GA-P67A-UD4 B3 motherboard
Noctua DH-14 Cooler
Kingston Hyper X 8GB 1600mhz Kit
MSI Radeon R9 280X
Nobody can answer the question for you. You don't need to upgrade but you may want to upgrade.

It's your money and you don't need to justify everything in life. If you can afford to then go ahead.

I look at my gaming rig as a hobby and hobbies don't generally make you money, they cost you money but bring happiness right?

You could also sell your older parts to make the cost easier to justify if you wish.

You gotta avoid that stress which is getting everyone down so if doing it will relive some, spend some money. If spending money will increase stress then don't. Just don't waste money.

Back
Top Bottom