1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

i9 11900K ABT on or off

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Jonnygrunge, 15 Sep 2021.

1. Jonnygrunge

Hitman

I had a 5900X on a Dark Hero for just under 6 months. Tried various methods of tuning from manual overclocking to CTR and Hydro. I have to say impressive multithreaded application CPU, but that platform I feel is not quite there yet, with Intel with regards to overall system stability. I was getting far too many sporadic reboots no BSOD, caused by WHEA errors due to CPU cores! My Intel setup has never skipped a beat.

I have also had AMD VGA cards in the past, again I felt they were plagued with driver issues, and nVidia for me is the best option, moved back green for a 1080Ti years back, coming from a pair of R9 280Xs OC TOP cards!

I had not been with AMD CPU wise, since my Athlon X2 6400+ days, moved to an i7 920 P35 setup around 2007 and never really looked back...

Can I also stress (excuse the pun!) that the 800W was pulled when running AVX instructions in real bench, not your average gaming session, 6900XT is way behind Ampere in my opinion, no DLSS and RTX performance is poor for the money, its more on par with Turing in that sense.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2021
  2. jigger

Capodecina

Pretty much the opposite of my experience. DLSS isn’t much of a feature unless Nvidia can get the tech baked in at the API level. Support is too minimal and super scaling AA is also a somewhat of a dying technique, it’s also pretty much irrelevant on Uber high end cards as the whole point of those is run at very high resolutions. IMO DLSS will go the way of physX, GPP, GSsync and the other fluff Nvidia have failed to push on the market. Ray tracing is somewhat useful but again to see real traction within the industry it has to see mass adoption. Nvidia has caused me many more head aches over the years then AMD. Failure rates have been higher on Nvidia and comparability issues more numerous. Not enough to put me off them and I hope Nvidia sort out the Ampere problems with a respin of its silicon. Clearly Nvidia missed the mark this time round and AMD have now edged past.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2021
  3. jigger

Capodecina

Dropping ABT can’t have lowered the CPU power use by 280 watts so it must have bottlenecked the graphics rendering performance too. Very interesting, are Nvidia using ABT on the Intel CPU for something?

4. Danger Bri

Gangster

I wouldn’t worry about the warranty. You don’t need to overclock as such. All you are doing is lowering voltage, so saving heat, therefore it’s going to be far better for your CPU than if just left stock. More of an undervolt.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2021
  5. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina