• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
I never use XMP, you are better off just setting the timings and sub-timings manually, and as to SA and IO leaving them on "auto" will normally overvolt as a rule of thumb. The only way to make sure your ram is not the culprit with the errors you are getting is to use HCI or another memory testing app.

Associate
Associate
Thats useful thanks! What do you think he means by this.. "I tried running higher frequency, it goes up Amps. The throttling flags are all false on hw info."
The post below that with the chart is the one i linked to i think. As for the guy above that you've quoted. I think he is responding to another question earlier in the thread. It's an interesting thread. Some good info over there.

Associate
I've noticed since taking the cpu block off that it wasn't making contact with the cpu in an even way all across the heatspreader.

I'm going to remove the CPU and see if it is flat. If not I'll have to lap the top.
If it is, then I'll try to tighten up the mount on the water block.

Either way, it should help with the temps of my 9900k when I'm done.

Associate
Well, I'm one step closer to water cooling my system. I managed to pick up a Fractal Design Define R6 on Black Friday.

Now I've got to save for the water cooling parts or a DIY kit from Overclockers. With something like this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...watercooling-kit-3831109863473-wc-99d-ek.html

Also, I might be able to drop my voltage if I play with the memory settings. As that might have been holding me back at 5GHz and 1.36v.

Associate
The post below that with the chart is the one i linked to i think. As for the guy above that you've quoted. I think he is responding to another question earlier in the thread. It's an interesting thread. Some good info over there.

Hey, so I have messed around loads more today. It seems LLC 6 defintely helps compared to LLC 5. I actually managed to test at 5GHz for the first time. I am at 1.340v LLC 6. It's working in games at 5GHz for ages. I just got a blue screen though. Seem to be going in the right direction though. Temps are getting really scary though. Into the 90's in games.

Associate
Hey, so I have messed around loads more today. It seems LLC 6 defintely helps compared to LLC 5. I actually managed to test at 5GHz for the first time. I am at 1.340v LLC 6. It's working in games at 5GHz for ages. I just got a blue screen though. Seem to be going in the right direction though. Temps are getting really scary though. Into the 90's in games.

You seem to be going in the right direction. Might be time to go to LLC7. What cooling do you have ?

Associate

Good to hear! You might find with a higher llc you can dial back the vcore a bit.

Associate
You seem to be going in the right direction. Might be time to go to LLC7. What cooling do you have ?

Good advice thanks guys. I have a Kraken x62. Phanteks enthoo evolv matx case. I think the case has bad airflow. Should I be worried about temps? It's just got the first throttle warning in hw info. Stayed at 5GHz the whole time. I know the tj max got moved to 115 on some motherboards. Cheers

Associate
Good advice thanks guys. I have a Kraken x62. Phanteks enthoo evolv matx case. I think the case has bad airflow. Should I be worried about temps? It's just got the first throttle warning in hw info. Stayed at 5GHz the whole time. I know the tj max got moved to 115 on some motherboards. Cheers

Those temps are really high. I have the Corsair 115i Pro at 1.36v/5GHz and get nowhere near those temps while gaming.

My temps don't go much above 70c as a max and average in the 60's

Associate
Those temps are really high. I have the Corsair 115i Pro at 1.36v/5GHz and get nowhere near those temps while gaming.

My temps don't go much above 70c as a max and average in the 60's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LqaGnuCPsg

My temps are basically identical to this guys. At about 5:20 in the video he plays Black Ops 4 and those are exactly what I get at 1.340v. So, I dno how people are so low!

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LqaGnuCPsg

My temps are basically identical to this guys. At about 5:20 in the video he plays Black Ops 4 and those are exactly what I get at 1.340v. So, I dno how people are so low!

If this is of any help too you. I have the Corsair 450D with two 140mm fans in the front. Then two 140mm fans on the top pulling air through my rad into the case. With a 120mm exhaust fan on the rear.

So I have lots of positive pressure coming into the case.

Associate
My case is sealed all round with only small vent gaps. But I used exactly the same setup for my 8700k and that didn't go over 70c. Not much more voltage applied to that chip either! So, I am not really sure whats going on. I am sure I seated the cooler properly. I have changed it a few times and it's all good.

Associate

LLC won't help in respect to increasing oc. LLC6 will give the closest vcore to the chip as set in bios. Changing that is just altering droop.

Dan, set sa/io to manual, should help drop temp a little. Auto overvolts way more than what's needed. If you're hitting 90deg whilst gaming then 5.1 will be a no-no, probably looking at 1.4v+ with that chip based on current scaling.

I personally wouldn't even run 5g at those temps. 100hz on cpu does **** all for gaming and not worth the push.

Associate
LLC won't help in respect to increasing oc. LLC6 will give the closest vcore to the chip as set in bios. Changing that is just altering droop.

Dan, set sa/io to manual, should help drop temp a little. Auto overvolts way more than what's needed. If you're hitting 90deg whilst gaming then 5.1 will be a no-no, probably looking at 1.4v+ with that chip based on current scaling.

I personally wouldn't even run 5g at those temps. 100hz on cpu does **** all for gaming and not worth the push.

Thanks for the advice. I am staying at LLC 6 for now while testing. I definitely won't be pushing for 5.1! lol. I have dropped the VCCIO down to 1.2v and VCCSA was already at 1.2ish. I am using similar voltages to others just massive temp differences. These seem to just be momentary spikes from mid 80s to mid/high 90s. Average temps are not "that bad". I dno what's going on tbh. Sure I installed all correctly.

Associate
Could just be a hot chip, they do exist! Without a delid the only options for temp would be more aggressive fan profile, better paste (unless already good), delid or drop clock. Yet to play with 9900k myself but from what o can gather they're pretty toasty chips out of the box.

If 4.9 drops vcore a good amount, temps should come way down and that extra 100mhz on core you loose won't even be noticed apart from benching.

Everyone seems to be hung up on numbers these days. I've got an 8700k that'll run 5.4g for daily at 1.4v but keep it chugging away at 5g for a lot less vcore. Don't notice the difference one bit when gaming. (1440p+)

Associate

That's where you are wrong, setting LLC 6 gives a lower vcore than LLC 7 set in the bios, lower LLC' give much moor vdroop, so under load using lower LLC's the vcore will drop too much.

1d433b2d-10e8-4aaa-9bc5-6a805528d502-original.jpg

ce9d4f11-c3f3-4e50-99ef-325f55bc5387-original.jpg

Back
Top Bottom