I9 and wait or i7 and buy now

Associate
heres my problem i have the money for a new pc build right now. and i here lots of talk with the I9, becuase i dont game and i just really really heavily multi task is it worth just settling for the i7? or wait for an unsuspecting date in 2010?

i got £1600 to spend and don't need peripherals or monitors. what you reckon??

thanks people

Soldato
Could you define really heavily multi task? It means very different things to different people.

I've known people swear blind that they multi task all the time and they mean excel, word, firefox and vlc all running at once. And others who considering running 200 of so thin clients from your desktop to be multi tasking.

Running an e8400 at stock is a mistake, it's the easiest chip to overclock I've seen. Taking that to 3.6 - 4ghz and waiting to see where the market goes makes the most sense. However I'll post back once I know what you mean by multitasking.

Cheers

Associate
One thing to remember... It's human nature to want to put things off until some time in the future- when everything will be better! Well, that future never really comes.

You see, even if you waited until i9 was released, you would still be asking yourself if you should wait until the next new and shiny thing came out...

And no matter what you buy in the world of computing, the day after it will be outdated. So I say, buy what you need- and buy it now. Do you NEED core i9 or will i5/i7 be fine? Sure, with i9 you would be topdog for a while and everybody would envy you, but sooner or later it will become familiar and boring. That feeling of newness will evaporate faster than you'd like, and you'll be craving the Core i11 or whatever it is next, wishing you would have waited for that instead.

If i9 was coming out next week or so, the obvious answer would be to wait. But it's not.

Associate
This,,,,,,,,,+1

One thing to remember... It's human nature to want to put things off until some time in the future- when everything will be better! Well, that future never really comes.

You see, even if you waited until i9 was released, you would still be asking yourself if you should wait until the next new and shiny thing came out...

And no matter what you buy in the world of computing, the day after it will be outdated. So I say, buy what you need- and buy it now. Do you NEED core i9 or will i5/i7 be fine? Sure, with i9 you would be topdog for a while and everybody would envy you, but sooner or later it will become familiar and boring. That feeling of newness will evaporate faster than you'd like, and you'll be craving the Core i11 or whatever it is next, wishing you would have waited for that instead.

If i9 was coming out next week or so, the obvious answer would be to wait. But it's not.

Nicely phrased m8.

Associate
I was one of those people that kept waiting for the next best thing.....and it never happens as something new then comes over the horizon and you wait some more.

I've just taken the plunge and gone i7 (awaiting some things to come back into stock).

I can't wait. My A64 4000+ , DFI Nf3 mobo , 2gb OCZ PC4000EB ram , and Gfx 7950gt AGP were great in their day but are getting pretty tired now!

Associate
I've just taken the plunge and gone i7 (awaiting some things to come back into stock).

I can't wait. My A64 4000+ , DFI Nf3 mobo , 2gb OCZ PC4000EB ram , and Gfx 7950gt AGP were great in their day but are getting pretty tired now!

I had an A64 4200+ X2 before I upgraded to an i7, amazing speed difference. I'd only upgrade every 2 or 3 years maybe thats enough for me.

Soldato
To the OP, the i9 is expected to come out in Spring/summer 2010 and cost many hundreds of pounds ( As it's an EE I would expect to pay at least £700 at launch).

However, you can get this overclocked i7 bundle right now. It will give you a quad core, with 8 threads. Each core is clocked to 4GHz. This should be enough performance for now, I would wager. However, If you want an i9 next year - thats cool too. The i9 is supposed to be X58 compatible, so you can just drop it in. Sell the i7 920 on the lovely members market, job done.

Associate
Just buy the i7, in a year when i9 comes out, ebay the i7 chip and simply switch cpus, you might lose a max £30 or so but you got a year of i7 use out of it, no brainer to me if your gonna get an i9 anyway.

Soldato
as above

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago but decided that it was wiser to buy an i7 and o/c ot then when i9 comes out simply swap the cpus , depending if the i9 was financially viable

turns outs my i7 runs at 4.2ghz with no problems so unless an i9 can offer substantially better overall performance i'll just keep the i7

Associate
as above

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago but decided that it was wiser to buy an i7 and o/c ot then when i9 comes out simply swap the cpus , depending if the i9 was financially viable

turns outs my i7 runs at 4.2ghz with no problems so unless an i9 can offer substantially better overall performance i'll just keep the i7

What kinda cooling are you using to keep that stable ?

Associate

This man speaks the truth.

Associate
ithout more info on what the system is used for it's more difficult. Assuming that his dual core at stock 'heavily multitasks' now and is obviously useable I'd make an ass out of you and me and say go for the i7 now.

As posted i9 could launch at £700 a chip, who knows how it'll clock and what performance increase it'll give you over the i7 until applications are optimised for all the cores. Sure there likely studd being written now that 's sufficiently well coded to use however many cores are present but I wouldn't have thought this commplace.

Get a good i7 set up now, by that I mean a 920 D0 in a good case suffuciently cooled and satble 4ghz is all yours. Thats a lot of comuting power compared to your 3ghz dual core. Spend wisely and whe i9 launches you can see where you want to go next. If i9 is horrendously priced but you still wnat it I can see your i7 920 D0 still fetching reasonable money.

Associate
OP
ok so i took what you guy have said and i deiced to get the i7 now and then drop the i9 in later what my problem is what chipset to buy into, can anyone say for sure that a mother board will be campaible.

i use the computer to msn, browser(20+) tabs, coding in net beans, youtube, itunes, burn cd movies, copy and paste losts of data, download..torrents. run little apps here and there.

i overclocked my pc before but it was very very unstable under xp, even when i took it of it still crashed, installed windows 7 and no problems, when it was overclocked i noticed no change.

i want an SSD but i dont no whitch one to get becuase i have had no time to look in to them, cases are easy the bigger the better dont have any size worrys, also a nice sound card might do the trick.

i got 2 21" dells (1080p) my grapics card seems fine but dont no what u think?

Associate
I've had my C2D E6850 for 2 years, almost 3 and I don't see what the big deal with upgrading to i7 or even i9 (When available) is yet. I find my C2D can handle everything thrown at it so far, and I've yet to see it reach 100% (except in Crysis of course :p).

I can understand getting a i7 in 2/3 years more time when games and applications are properly optimised for 4+ cores, but right now most programs aren't.

Only reason I can see buying an i7/i9 for is if you have photoshop frenzies or are insane on video editing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom