Ideal driving wheel + pedals for 6yr old ( and especially me!)

Associate
Hi all,
I am about to buy a racing wheel for my 6yr old to use with the ps4. Initial I was thinking of something cheap well under £100. I then started to think I could want to play as well especially since I have a Quest 2 & Quest pro!.

I started looking only to realise that there are some expensive stuff out there so I narrowed down to these ones below in no particular order that can be had from an auction site or exchange place ... reasonable lower that new prices.

(1) Logitech G29 Driving force wheel + pedals
(2) Logitech G923 Trueforce Wheel + pedals
(3) Thrustmaster T248 Racing wheel + pedals
(4) Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Racing wheel + pedals

Please can you list this in order of best to worst.

Also can a 6yr old actually use then wheels and pads? or he really needs to stick a a completely basic driving wheel

The T248 & G29 are much cheaper than the other 2 so wondering as if the T300 & G923 are significantly better such that its where my focus should be?

Thanks

Caporegime
get a used g29 or one on offer. most people fall into the youtuber streamer trap and buy expensive wheels that dont make you any faster. they are also just given them by the companies. g29 is all you really need tbh and force feed back aint gonna break their arms.

Soldato
OP what did you go for in the end and how is your kid getting on with it? There are some good deals on the G923 at the moment so I’m considering that rather them more expensive DD options (though I expect we’ll catch the sim racing bug and upgrade later on…). I used to have a G25 a decade ago and loved it but nothing since.

Caporegime
you will probably get good deals this month. g29s normally go on offer in jan. as above unless hardcore sim racer or just want shiny things its all you need. most of the world records are set on logitech stuff and most of the other " high end " is just youtubers and streamers who get given the gear or sponsered by the companies anyway. i know i was one of them sponsered by fanatec. :D

Soldato
you will probably get good deals this month. g29s normally go on offer in jan. as above unless hardcore sim racer or just want shiny things its all you need. most of the world records are set on logitech stuff and most of the other " high end " is just youtubers and streamers who get given the gear or sponsered by the companies anyway. i know i was one of them sponsered by fanatec. :D
I was falling down the Fanatec rabbit hole the more I researched it and ending up with a shopping basket pushing £1k then I needed to bring myself back down to Earth knowing that I won’t get to use it that much and it will mostly be the kids so a £200 Logitech will do nicely. I need a foldable chassis too, so either going to go for the Playseat Challenge or spending a bit more for the NLR GTLite Pro.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still beating that same drum... :cry:
haha when its true can save people a lot of money. oooh i need a better set up cause im slower than youtubers or streamers. go to watch them most big ones are sponsered look at my gear. funny thing is most of them arent even fast. just sponsered then sheep buy what they sell. its a business. you dont need the top brands and depending on the game they can actually be slower time wise than most logitech thrustmaster stuff.

i had a free shop at fanatec. literally i want that choose thanks. then it would be delivered. probably had 7 - 10 grands worth of kit then told them to take it back. as its just not generally as good for setting fast times as cheaper gear. just generally looks maybe flashier or built better.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t really care about how competitive I am, more interested in immersion, so I can definitely see the appeal of the smoother, more realistic experience a proper quality DD setup gives you, I just can’t justify the extra cost rn.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don’t really care about how competitive I am, more interested in immersion, so I can definitely see the appeal of the smoother, more realistic experience a proper quality DD setup gives you, I just can’t justify the extra cost rn.
realism wise yeah high end will shake you about. but the cost isnt worth it.

Soldato
haha when its true can save people a lot of money. oooh i need a better set up cause im slower than youtubers or streamers. go to watch them most big ones are sponsered look at my gear. funny thing is most of them arent even fast. just sponsered then sheep buy what they sell. its a business. you dont need the top brands and depending on the game they can actually be slower time wise than most logitech thrustmaster stuff.

i had a free shop at fanatec. literally i want that choose thanks. then it would be delivered. probably had 7 - 10 grands worth of kit then told them to take it back. as its just not generally as good for setting fast times as cheaper gear. just generally looks maybe flashier or built better.
Yeah, yeah, yeah... We've been through this before and last time we did this, you accused me of hacking into your steam chat when I posted pics of your own posts in this forum.
You also claimed that a DFGT was less mechanically interfering than a direct drive wheel ffs...

The problem is that you've invented this whole argument in your head that everyone thinks that better hardware = faster times and you trot it out every single time. "Just buy a G29/DFGT blahblah"... Just because you once got given a Fanatec CSW and couldn't get along with it in a short period of time compared to your DFGT that you'd been using for years.
Take this thread for example; The guy was asking about a wheel for his 6 year old. He wasn't talking about trying to break records.

realism wise yeah high end will shake you about. but the cost isnt worth it.

To you, perhaps.
To the majority of other people that are into this hobby, it is.

Caporegime
haha comedy gold. just offering inputs from someone whos had low end wheels to the highend gear also someone who can do the world records. no need to justify your fanatec setup if you have one. just enjoy it. if you like it you like it.

Associate
OP
OP what did you go for in the end and how is your kid getting on with it? There are some good deals on the G923 at the moment so I’m considering that rather them more expensive DD options (though I expect we’ll catch the sim racing bug and upgrade later on…). I used to have a G25 a decade ago and loved it but nothing since.

I had a few bits and bobs gathering dust in the loft so took them down to The exchange place for the G29. I then purchased a foldable racing stand. It certainly was good and made playing racing games easier. It’s now gathering dust after only one month of use.

I’m certainly glad I did not spend more else it would have been a waste of money

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback, which games did he try? It would predominantly be for my 10yo, so whilst he can be fickle with things computer games is something he’s really into.

Soldato
haha comedy gold. just offering inputs from someone whos had low end wheels to the highend gear also someone who can do the world records. no need to justify your fanatec setup if you have one. just enjoy it. if you like it you like it.
Ah, the trademark ~>Dg<~ evasive, dumb assumptions :cry: Just ignore what's being said and proceed to chat ****. You did the same thing last time (and the time before that) and it's embarrassingly predictable.

Caporegime
Ah, the trademark ~>Dg<~ evasive, dumb assumptions :cry: Just ignore what's being said and proceed to chat ****. You did the same thing last time (and the time before that) and it's embarrassingly predictable.
what set up have you got or had ? the reason i ask as its often people who disagree are just trying to justify them nothing wrong with enjoying a highend set up. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
what set up have you got or had ? the reason i ask as its often people who disagree are just trying to justify them nothing wrong with enjoying a highend set up. :D
You want history, like I need to qualify to have an opinion in your eyes? Ok.

Microsoft XBOX wheel
Driving Force GT
Fanatec CSR
Thrustmaster T300
Simagic Alpha Mini

As far I can tell from our little talks, you've had a DFGT for years and tried a Fanatec CSW.
Anything else?

What exactly is it that you think I'm disagreeing with?

Soldato
was just asking as you seem to be guessing at what ive had.
Based on THREE conversations on this same topic. You've never said anything to refute what I've said, it's always some vague thing about 'having tried high end wheels'.

And once again (as always) you can't answer a straight question even though I've answered yours.
I'll try again:
What exactly is it that you think I'm disagreeing with?

Back
Top Bottom