Ideas for a view 27 build

P.B

P.B

Soldato
OP
I will do it is using old tech xeon 1366 chip and rampage 3 extreme and gtx 480.... for my mum to play her facebook games. lol

ElB

ElB

Associate
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just finished a build in one of these and on the one hand I like how it looks but on the other hand it's got some serious thermal issues if you go for the vertical GPU mount. I did originally have a 980 Ti (MSI Gaming 6G) in there -- not an excessively big card by any standards -- but there's around 10-15mm clearance between card and case window which was nowhere near enough to get decent airflow and as a result the card got really hot really quickly, hitting 80 degrees within a minute or two at full load and continuing to climb. That would be bad enough, but after a minute or so at that temperature the acrylic started to soften and the rerd fan on the 980 Ti literally caused the window to bow inwards and started rubbing on it. I shut everything down and the dent more or less returned to normal (although from the right angle you can still see it), bent the GPU bracket back a little, and added some spacers to extend the gap as far as I could, but it was still no good. Sure, it was no longer physically destroying itself, but the card still got too hot for comfort and started throttling itself.

I considered adding vents to the side, but decided in the end that it would spoil the look -- they're pretty much 100mm fans so it would have been a big hole -- and in the end I swapped the 980 Ti out for a hybrid-cooled 1070. No performance gain as the two cards seem to be pretty evenly matched, but as the MSI Sea Hawk X is going for just under £400 and has £43 cashback from MSI and the going price for used 980 Tis is around £250 I keep telling myself it "only" cost £100, and to be honest it looks a lot nicer than the Ti did in there -- I've gone for a relatively understated build so the black lump blends in better than the angry red robo-wasp look of the old card. The 1070 runs a little warmer than it would if it had more space for the blower intake so I still may have to make a few holes in the side, but one 60mm vent is going to look less awful than two 100mm vents.

(Oh, and a huge slab of acrylic like that is a literal dust magnet. It took me a long time to get the inside dust-free before I sealed it shut!)

Anyway, the moral of the story is that while the case is nice to look at someone at Thermaltake needs to be fired -- the vertical GPU bracket is extremely poorly placed, and I would advise against anyone using it.

Back
Top Bottom