Ideas for renewing front porch?

Soldato
We're looking at replacing our front porch as it's rotten and am after some ideas. I've spent ages googling and can't find these type online no matter what I search for, so struggling for ideas and options.

This is the current state of it.

ff3kdxJ.jpg

The house is 1920's and the black arch is original, the wooden porch added some time later.
I don't particularly like the porch so one idea would be simply to take it out back to it's original state, the issue with this is it's extremely handy for leaving packages and deliveries in which obviously nowadays is really useful.
We've had a look round the local area at some upvc ones but they they don't look great, rebuilding out of wood would be an option and would look better but we plan to stay here for a long time so want something to last for many years, after speaking to a few people it could also work out more expensive due to the amount of labour involved.
Even any ideas what to google for, I've tried arched porch, storm porch, lead roof porch, french door porch and every other combination I can think of?

Soldato
Unless you absolutely can't stand the design, buy a reciprocating multi tool. Cut out the rotten wood. Buy some green treated softwood and replace the rotten. Treat any soft rotten wood with hardner then repaiint with oil based primer then gloss.

Failing that pull it down. Your photo superficially suggests it's in good otrder and could be repaired.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback, it's a lot worse than it looks in the initial photo and has been patched up several times over the years, it really needs a fresh start.

AJpYUlY.jpg

tDabZ0K.jpg

Macca, just had a look at your suggestions and they are stunning, really impressed.
I think the only issue would be if it would fit in with the rest of our house, I'm really not sure.

ndbNUR1.jpg

T4TWNrI.jpg

I can't find any oak framed porches with an arch, one possibility would be to take it all down and have one with a pitched roof and green oak like the one you posted but still unsure if the oak would go with the rest of the house?

Associate
Pitched roof porch would match the main roof. Oak would work better if the pebbling was rendered imho, but then you are going down the on-trend contemporary modernising route which is a little marmite.

Soldato
I removed a lot more than that in an afternoon above my back door where a blocked gutter had rotted the wood for years. A multi tool blade will remove the rotten wood in short order. A chisel to pare it back flat and cut a block to match then blend with filler and repaint. It's very repairable, it's more a question of do you want to replace it? For me the flashing to the brickwork looks very neat and I would guess is still water tight. The risk might be that your new porch doesn't achieve the same tightness and introduces a damp problem.

I would either
a) match the outer door/porch to the windows, ie leaded glass effect or
b) match the outer door/porch to the inner door

IMHO both the windows design and the inner door design look good, the outer door area looks like a poor 70s job, and doesnt match either the windows or in the inner door. you have in effect 3 different designs.
I would personally go with a for a more consistent front outlook.

Nice looking house btw :)

Back
Top Bottom