If bicycles are banned from commuter trains, why aren't pushchairs?

Soldato
Its more to do with the personality and sense of entitlement of the parent, but anyway...

If you wish to travel with a bike during busy commuter hours you are forced to use a fold up bike out of consideration for your fellow passengers. My question is why does this expectation to be considerate not extend to parents with Pushchairs too? Why not require them to have a fold up pushchair too?

What if the child is asleep? Even if the child is awake, if they cant walk, you wont be able to fold up the pushchair (or re-assemble it) whilst holding a child.

I normally try and avoid commuting times when travelling on public transport with my kids, especially the tube as it gets horrendously crowded. Sometimes it cant be avoided though.

Puschairs are obviously in a completely different category from bikes, and it is bizzare to compare them. You might as well say why don't disabled people travel in fold up wheel chairs.

Soldato
So comparing bikes to pushchairs is absured, but comparing pushchairs to wheelchairs is aparetly a perfectly fine leap to make... :rolleyes:

Just pick up the bits you want to read and ignore the rest (i.e. the justification) :rolleyes:

A cyclist can still travel without the bike, some babies cannot travel without the pushchair, due to weight and the amount of extra/guff equipment that needs to be carried to look after it (read: keep it alive).

Soldato
Trains should have a bike/luggage carriage like they used to though.
Not quite a carriage, but South West Trains have carriages that have specific locations for bikes and buggies. What is frustrating is when there are people sitting there (fold down seats), and they don't move when someone gets on with a bike. The cyclist rarely has the courage to ask them to move either, so they end up holding the bike across the carriage blocking people when they get on and off.

Soldato
I don't mind it if people have bikes and/or pushchairs on trains so long as they're out the way and/or folded up.

I witnessed this a while back on the train:
3mfUJsH.jpg

Inconsiderate ****, even more so when you realise it's a fold up bike.

Caporegime
OP
Thats the position the pram was in yesterday. Nobody could get past, and it was empty so the parent and child were elsewhere in the carriage.

Doing that with a fold up bike is a new level of stupid though :p

Associate
I have a fold-up Dahon bike and even when folded it's a PITA if the train is busy; having to force my way past people lugging the folded bike about.
Not once have I left it unfolded on the train as in the pic above, takes 20 seconds to collapse on the platform whilst waiting for the train, plus it's more stable so won't fall over.
Fortunately I don't work "rush-hour" hours so busy trains are a rarity for me, thank god!

Soldato
Commuting is hell. No arguments here!

But the obvious answer anyone would give before chucking push chairs off trains is GET ANOTHER JOB! :p

Unfortunately, that's the classic defense. It is, after all, your choice to commute to work in this way.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the rage to be completely honest.

:D Just playing devil's advocate to prove a point.

Luckily I'm only here for 5 months before going back to the farm! There is no way on earth I could keep doing this for years and years. It really is madness.

Getting to the point where I'd almost rather go and work in wetherspoons round the corner for the last 2 months.

Soldato
Which TOC?

The ones i travel on all have space for bicycles. FGW HST have a separate compartment for 6 bikes, so certainly not taking up any room. Prams/buggys have to go in the normal compartments and squash up somewhere. Then the XC Voyagers have 3 hanging spaces for bikes, again out of the way for the rest of the carriage, so not in anyones way.

Associate
Luckily I'm only here for 5 months before going back to the farm! There is no way on earth I could keep doing this for years and years. It really is madness.

Getting to the point where I'd almost rather go and work in wetherspoons round the corner for the last 2 months.
It is disgustingly bad.

- The people who have no respect for one another on the train.

- The expectation of delay: Yes it is THAT bad that your employer doesn't mind if you come in an hour late because trains suck and everybody knows it.

- The busyness is off the scale at peak times D: Literally sardines sometimes.

And last but by no means least

- Dat pricetag. Remind me again why we pay so much for London trains (my ticket costs me £340 a month btw) when it's THIS bad and we are forced to just be ok with it?!? What are we paying for exactly?

Permabanned

Some routes are far worse than others, my current route is not so bad. In the mornings if i catch the fast train from romford to stratford it can take 6 mins and ill get a seat. If i catch slow train it can take 18mins to get to stratford but usually ill have a seat. Then on the central line its not so bad at that time often ill get a seat, but takes 20 further mins.

The way home is far worse, struggle to get on the train at chancery lane, usually one or two trains pass before i can fit on and rarely get a seat, but once we past bank or liverpool streets i often get a seat. Then the same for the over ground train, struggle to get on and never get a seat until a few stops later.

It is definitely over priced though, £58 a week it costs me and its only 17 miles away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom