• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If You Can Solve This U R KING

Associate
GTX1070, i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM laptop

How do you guys explain it when the CPU and GPU clockspeeds reach their expected turbo max under load with no throttling, and temps are low, yet you get 30%-40% fps lower than you used to in all games? The system is not reaching its full potential in generating frames anymore. Vsync and Gsync are globally Off and high performance plans are set in nvidia cp and windows cp. There seems to be an artificial cap on framerates in my games now; a cap that was never there. BF3 does not go above 90fps on max settings now and is fluctuating a lot, used to be a steady 150fps. Same for other games but at different caps.Benchmarks & stress tests run fine with no crashing but they give low-end results. Example of very low score (better than 36% of all results): https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23368768

1. Clean Install of windows 10 did not change anything
2. Trying various Nvidia drivers with DDU did not change anything
3. Flashing the BIOS with latest build from MSI website did not change anything
4. GPU/CPU Temps are at 30C-35C when booting the game (very cold in here), and I activate Cooler Boost to prevent them from reaching 85C but I still dont reach the original max and steady framerates like I used to.

The on-screen display occasionally shows the "Power Limit" flag while gaming. I assumed this is common in gaming laptops or is it not?

Could it be a malfunction in the power adapter? The circuitry in the motherboard? The chipset driver version 10.1.1.42? Can i reset the cmos without opening the case? How would you further investigate this?

If you can crack this then you are KING.

Last edited:
Associate
My first guess would be some kind of power save feature or power profile ? Try high performance profile in windows power plans and see if it makes any difference or rule that out...

Associate
OP
yes i did that but forgot to mention it in original post. Sorry. i will edit it.

With power saving plan fps reaches 20-30. On High performance they fluctuate 40 to 70 with an upper cap. Before this problem i used to get steady 90fps or steady 150fps depending on the game.

Last edited:
Associate
Could it be Nvidia batteryboost? Sorry if you’ve tried this already.

NVIDIA BatteryBoost extends battery life by limiting the maximum frame rate. This reduces the load on the GPU and therefore power consumption. You should be able to adjust or disable this feature in GeForce Experience.

Associate
OP
Below is a video recording of OSD in game plus links to 3DMark Scores. GPU load in all games is 50%-75% while clock reaches 1900Mhz, avg 1700Mhz.
I am planning to try a new power adapter yet it costs more than $200 so i got multimeter to measure mine for discrepancies.

If anyone knows how to reset the motherboard circuitry without opening the case please let me know.

Ryse Son of Rome: Notice the fps cap limit @64fps. When I move around it dips to 30fps even 10fps minimum. In BF3 it dropped from steady 150fps to a max of 100fps, dipping to 80fps.

Firestrike Score:
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23367665

Sky Diver Score:
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23370370

Cloud Gate Score:
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23368616

Cinebench R15 Scores:
AOcTtPm.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You could try this, turn off laptop, take out the battery, leave for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes push the power on button a few times. Then plug back in the battery and connect the power.

Turn it on and see if you still have the issue.

It's a rather simple thing to do and might not work for you. But, it's worth a try. This has worked for me in the past when I had a dell gaming laptop. Sometimes it's performance would tank for no obvious reason and I would just do the above and it would work perfectly again.

Associate
OP
Thanks melmac, unfortunately the MSI GT62VR 6RE does not have a removable battery. Holding shift while shutting down did fix the problem once but not anymore.

Thanks Itchy, does restting the cmos affect windows system or any drivers and software? I hope I can do it without opening the case else warranty is void. Did you want me to give u the full model name and number?

Soldato
Are you sure opening the case affects the warranty? I would be very surprised if it did because people like to upgrade ram, hard drives etc. Just did a quick check on google, and according to MSI themselves, it's ok to open their laptops. The sticker is only a warning in case you do damage while doing an upgrade.

Man of Honour
Fwiw the 6700hq has an on-board gfx chip. In the nvidia control panel there is an option of what to favour on-board or dedicated. It will be on auto, swap it to dedicated and job done. I have basically the same spec machine and had a similar problem where for whatever reason in most games it was favouring the on chip Intel adapter.

Soldato
Can you try this: in Windows 10 go to Settings, Privacy, Feedback and Diagnostics and change "Send your device data to Microsoft" from Full(recommended) to Basic. There is an issue with this setting and CPU performance in certain instances.

Also, in the video I couldn't see any sign of your CPU frequency, could you monitor that too and report back? Lastly, check the power limit for the GPU in MSI afterburner; it should be 100%. You can try raising it a bit and see whether that helps so we can see whether it actually is a GPU power limit problem.

Associate
OP
Thanks @String , I will post the requested graphs shortly after this post.

*UPDATE*

These 2 fresh videos should clear things up and help in the analysis. Lowering video settings to the lowest preset as well as the resolution to the lowest had absolutely no effect on framerates in battlefield 3.

Lowest Settings and very low resolution: (130-135fps, GPU usage 15%, CPU cores usage up to 64%)

Ultra Settings at FullHD 1080p resolution: (130-135fps, GPU usage 50%-60%, CPU cores usage up to 77%)

What does that tell you?

On the other hand, The Witcher 3 behaves differently and is much more stable than previous games and on par with other bencmarks. At ultra settings 1920x1080p and hairworks OFF, here are the results:

- GPU Clock relatively stable
- GPU load stable at 99%
- Framerates not fluctuating erratically. Stable between 70-80fps inside first room, drops to 60s outdoors.
- GPU temp stable at 87C first 30mins. Still High. Fans RPM is maxed (Cooler Boost ON). Below video is taken in first 5 minutes so temp went up to 87C afterwards.

How do you explain all this?

Back
Top Bottom