If you lost your current job would you stay in the same line of work?

Soldato
As title.

I guess this is mainly aimed at those who have done the same job for a number of years. If you were to lose your job tomorrow would you pursue a career in the same field or would you see it as an opportunity to try something new?

I'm content in my job but as nothing is ever guaranteed in life I sometimes like to ponder about what I would do if things suddenly changed.

Part of me has always wanted to do woodwork or run my own pub :D (obviously these are pipe dreams but it's nice to imagine every now and then!)

Soldato
At 42 and a reasonable salary I probably wouldn't jump careers completely, but I've moved into different jobs that have certain similarities, basically numbers / systems / reporting / process improvement based.

Finance Analyst for a bank
Finance Analyst for an outsourced contact centre
Doing that gave me the opportunity to design and implement an ACD for the call centre
That led to implementing a workforce management tool
That led to becoming a Resource Planning Manager
Resource Planning consultant
Couple more Resource Planning Manager roles
Then off to build reporting and analysis tools for a procurement function
Then consultancy on invoicing processes for G4S who offered me a role as Bid /New Business Manager
Then back to resource planning manager

I'd love to run my own business as I get frustrated with not being in as much control as I'd like when working for big corporates, but I don't think I could take the step back financially now.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
When I got made redundant I decided on a fairly significant career change that required four years to implement.

Sometimes a change is good.

Permabanned
I don't really like my career anymore, but it's kinda a case of having to keep doing it because it's good money.

I will be losing my job in a couple of years so will have to decide for reals.

Soldato
hell yes at 51 and still a chef id just go work at morrisons has to be easier than 11 hr days and 6 day weeks ? yeah the money is good but you never have time to spend it ..

Not really, just had a load of friends leave Morrisons (different stores) due to increased hours, lack of support on shifts, poor management and even refusal to pay overtime. Weekends now compulsory for full timers (including Sundays).

Soldato
It would take me years (if ever) to get close to my current salary if I were to change career (never mind any increases I would otherwise get during that time), so while I still have a mortgage and bills to pay, the chances of me changing are slim to none...

...there's also the fact I love my job (most days :p), so while there are obviously times I long for a simpler life, I think I'd miss it if I were doing something else.

Man of Honour
Not by choice but options are limited here unless I move away or something comes up.

I'm at a point where I'm seriously considering relocating + different field of work but things always seem to be complicated.

Back
Top Bottom