• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If your GPU was dying now and you wanted an AMD GPU which would you get?

Associate
So my old GTX1080 is unstable when playing games and frankly its old and I want a change. I'm set on going team red.

Mostly as seeing Nvidia's price gouging over the last few years has left me with a dim view of them and while I like RT its not a killer feature for me.

I'm considering a choice between the 7900 series GPU's really. For the XT/X I want to go for the Sapphire Nitro+ editions. I love the way they look and my plan is to take advantage of the ability to connect one of my front 180mm intake fans to the GPU. That way the bottom one will react to the GPU while the top one will react to the CPU. I was also considering the GRE, but I kinda feel like I would be better served with the XT instead? I currently game at 1440p (27" 144mhz Dell G-sync) But next year I want to jump on one of the 32 inch Alienware OLED models.

My heart wants to go for the XTX as its the top of the range. But I'm not sure if the 5700X3d would bottle neck it? I do want to upgrade to AM5, possibly end of next year though. So perhaps then I could keep hold of it and use it with the AM5 system?

Taking these things into consideration which would you go for? The rest of my system specs are in my signature....

Last edited:
I was also considering the GRE, but I kinda feel like I would be better served with the XT instead? I currently game at 1440p (27" 144mhz Dell G-sync) But next year I want to jump on one of the 32 inch Alienware OLED models.
You can get a 7800 XT for under £450 and that's over twice the speed of your 1080, so that's what I'd consider the best "bang for buck" pick.

The 7900 GRE has got really hard to recommend since the price crept up over £550, I don't think it makes sense to buy one when the 7900 XT is available for just over £600.

The XTX, from what I've seen the price cut is nowhere near as big as the 7900 XT and paying an extra £200-£300 just doesn't make sense given the performance difference between them.

In regards to the Nitro specifically, I really wouldn't be put off by e.g. the 7900 XT Hellhound at £630. The Nitro+ at £720 isn't too bad I suppose, but there's no way I would pay nearly £1k for the XTX.

Hmm consensus seems to be pushing me towards a 7800XT...

In regards to the Nitro specifically, I really wouldn't be put off by e.g. the 7900 XT Hellhound at £630

I'm a sucker for aesthetics and I'm just not a fan of the Hellhounds looks... I like the looks of the Nitro+ so in that regard I'm set on a Nitro+ card tbh. Otherwise I actually like the reference designs but they seem to be hard/impossible to come by now.

I was going to hold off until Black Friday (maybe some deals, but also close enough to Christmas that it will be my christmas present to myself, buy it now and my child like psychology won't count it...)

I think I'm going to have to do a bit more review watching and looking at performance charts...

Last edited:
I was going to hold off until till Black Friday (maybe some deals, but also close enough to Christmas that it will be my christmas present to myself, buy it now and my child like psychology won't count it...)
There were rumours awhile ago that RDNA 4 was launching imminently, but I haven't really been keeping track.

I'm a sucker for aesthetics and I'm just not a fan of the Hellhounds looks... I like the looks of the Nitro+ so in that regard I'm set on a Nitro+ card tbh
I see. In that case, I think it would have to be the 7900 XT. £720 is high relatively, but not too high, whereas the XTX is £990 and that definitely does not make sense.

To be more specific, TPU's GPU database has it (the XTX) @ 16% faster, whereas the price of the Nitro XTX is nearly 40% higher than the Nitro XT.

7800xt sapphire pulse could be had for just under 400 quid yesterday - retailer isn't valid for the current games bundle but if the games are of no interest to you or you don't want to be bothered with the hassle of selling them on that's not a bad price at all.

I see. In that case, I think it would have to be the 7900 XT. £720 is high relatively, but not too high, whereas the XTX is £990 and that definitely does not make sense.

Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that the 7900XT is the best one for me to go for. The same "compromise" as between me wanting a 5800X3D and getting a 5700X3D. The "compromise" being not much difference in perceived performance vs big difference in actual price.

My only real reluctance to go with the 7800XT is the extra 4gb of vRAM and general faster GPU on the 7900XT which might give a bit more longevity to the card? which brings me to...

There were rumours awhile ago that RDNA 4 was launching imminently, but I haven't really been keeping track.

I was wondering if RDNA4 launches or is imminent perhaps there might be a some deals on 7900 cards to be had? But the rumours do seem have gone quiet. So this does add a bit of hesitation, but as it currently is the system is unusable for games. Firing up Destiny 2 results in a crash after about 20 mins, if I flick the switch to the non-OC bios on the 1080 then it might last an hour. The crash is always accompanied by increased temps with one of the MEM and PWR temperature probes being about 10 degrees higher than the rest.

Last edited:
My only real reluctance to go with the 7800XT is the extra 4gb of vRAM and general faster GPU on the 7900XT which might give a bit more longevity to the card? which brings me to...
The reason I just ignored the 7800 XT is because you specifically said you liked the aesthetics of the Nitro and from what I can see, the 7800 XT doesn't have quite the same cooler / design as the XT and XTX models.

I think the 16GB will probably be fine for the 7800 XT in the longer-term, since it'll likely run out of grunt before you have serious problems there and get upgraded anyway.

For 4K, the extra power of the 7900 XT is definitely going to be nice, but while you're at 1440p you don't need it.

The reason I just ignored the 7800 XT is because you specifically said you liked the aesthetics of the Nitro and from what I can see, the 7800 XT doesn't have quite the same cooler / design as the XT and XTX models.

I think the 16GB will probably be fine for the 7800 XT in the longer-term, since it'll likely run out of grunt before you have serious problems there and get upgraded anyway.

For 4K, the extra power of the 7900 XT is definitely going to be nice, but while you're at 1440p you don't need it.

The 7800XT mention missed a quote from someone else who suggested the 7800XT... sorry my mistake!

Last edited:
The 7800XT mention missed a quote from someone else who suggested the 7800XT... sorry my mistake!
Is all good, I was just saying that's why I didn't mention it in my post, but maybe I'm mistaken and they're more aesthetically similar than I thought.

I was wondering if RDNA4 launches or is imminent perhaps there might be a some deals on 7900 cards to be had?
Good question. End of the last AMD generation there were good deals to be had. Time will tell I guess.

Due to circumstances* I'm looking to upgrade before I would usually do so and a bargain/reduced price 7900XTX would be a worthwhile upgrade from my current card (RX6900XT)

*Son's PC in need of a boost. As good excuse as any. ;)

Edit - they (the deals) were around the middle of November > Black Friday, just prior to the launch of the 7xxx series.

Last edited:
Good question. End of the last AMD generation there were good deals to be had. Time will tell I guess.

Due to circumstances* I'm looking to upgrade before I would usually do so and a bargain/reduced price 7900XTX would be a worthwhile upgrade from my current card (RX6900XT)

*Son's PC in need of a boost. As good excuse as any. ;)

Edit - they (the deals) were around the middle of November > Black Friday, just prior to the launch of the 7xxx series.

Hmm, so then waiting till BF might still be a good idea after all. Been reading some run downs and reviews and all I can say is jesus Nvidia, why do they have so many SKU's! It just adds so much confusion. The naming structure seems to have gone to hell with "super" this, "ti" that and the. "ti super". It's another reason for me to dislike what Nvidia has become! :cry:

Last edited:
There's been the odd 4070ti Super for around £600-650 lately, but for me it'd be between that and a 7900XT with my preference being the Nv card (they're like hens teeth at that price point however) due to a preference for the feature set.

I don't give a damn about aesthetics however, performance vs price will always be king to me.

I don't give a damn about aesthetics however, performance vs price will always be king to me.

I dunno, I feel its a part of the buying choice now for me. Especially with the prevalence of windowed cases now. I don't want to be looking at something fugly. Before I bought my EVGA 1080 FTW2 I had the equivalent Aorus card and I really did not appreciate the looks. Whereas the EVGA I still think is one of the better looking cards from that era of cards. One of the reasons I miss EVGA is the quality of the designs they had as well how good the actual cards they made were.

Asus used to have some really attractive designs but not so much anymore. I felt they went through a period where the Mobo's also looked a bit naff... The new X870 Crosshair Hero though does look sweet

Last edited:
The naming structure seems to have gone to hell with "super" this, "ti" that and the. "ti super".
Launch cards:
4060 Ti 8GB/16GB
4070 Ti

Refresh cards:
4070 Super
4070 Ti Super
4080 Super

:)

Competing cards:
4070 and 7800 XT (450-500)
4070 Super and 7900 GRE (500-600)
4070 Ti and 7900 XT (600-700)