• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If your GPU was dying now and you wanted an AMD GPU which would you get?

The 7900xt is definitely the sweet spot if buying new. They launched it at too close to the the price of the xtx so it got a hard time in the launch reviews despite being a good card. It now makes a lot of sense.

The 7800xt gets beaten by the 6800xt in some situations so I would pass on that just in principle. Ignoring the name it's a decent value option though

The 7900xt is definitely the sweet spot if buying new. They launched it at too close to the the price of the xtx so it got a hard time in the launch reviews despite being a good card. It now makes a lot of sense.

The 7800xt gets beaten by the 6800xt in some situations so I would pass on that just in principle. Ignoring the name it's a decent value option though
I'm about 90% certain now I'll go for the 7900XT based on some of the things said here and reading reviews etc. I'll be going for the Sapphire Nitro+ one. Which I know is at the top of the 7900XT scale but I really really dig the way it looks.

Only left field thing that might happen is going for a 4070 ti super if the deal is just so great for me to ignore my dislike of Nvidia. :cry:

Last edited:
I'm about 90% certain now I'll go for the 7900XT based on some of the things said here and reading reviews etc. I'll be going for the Sapphire Nitro+ one. Which I know is at the top of the 7900XT scale but I really really dig the way it looks.

Only left field thing that might happen is going for a 4070 ti super if the deal is just so great for me to ignore my dislike of Nvidia. :cry:
Ohh I've been down that road before and man did I regret it :P. But of course.. some times.. things do turn out better than expected. Sorry not much of a helping hand :D

Even if you don't care about RT you still have to account for the image quality difference of DLSS which is something you can't "spend" (rendering time wise) for with AMD. Meaning, even if you were to use FSR/XeSS at higher quality levels you can't make up the difference versus DLSS and the less shimmering/ghosting etc (nor even with the game's regular TAA in most cases - which in any case would have you halve your performance comparatively).

That's something you should think about in relation to the games you play and how it works there.

It's too bad your GPU is unstable, if you could've waited then maybe AMD announces new cards soon and showcases FSR with ML, which they quasi-announced a few weeks ago.

Even if you don't care about RT you still have to account for the image quality difference of DLSS which is something you can't "spend" (rendering time wise) for with AMD. Meaning, even if you were to use FSR/XeSS at higher quality levels you can't make up the difference versus DLSS and the less shimmering/ghosting etc (nor even with the game's regular TAA in most cases - which in any case would have you halve your performance comparatively).

That's something you should think about in relation to the games you play and how it works there.

It's too bad your GPU is unstable, if you could've waited then maybe AMD announces new cards soon and showcases FSR with ML, which they quasi-announced a few weeks ago.

Yeah there's a part of me that thinks "well I can just game on my PS5 and wait" then there's a part of me that thinks "I've just spent the last couple of months faffing about with the PC and upgrading to the 5700X3D and wants to actually make some use of it". Its annoying because after years and years of faithful service the 1080 decided now was the time to start acting up.

I guess there is an argument to be made for perhaps seeing if a re-pad and paste of the 1080 solves the issues. Although I have a feeling its more that a Memory chip is dying personally, I've been running the official EVGA 11 gpbs OC bios since they released it. I stress tested it fully when I implemented it but it may be a case of it having reached the end of its life due to being OC'd? I'm purely basing this on the temps being fine imo in general, and even the one memory temp sensor that reports a higher than the others only does about 10 degrees (~74 highest recorded on HWinfo). But I see the tell tale signs of instability before a crash, artifacts on screen etc.

Last edited:

When does a 6800XT beat a 7800XT (especially if its a Nitro+)? must be very, very niche and by a microscopic margin if there are any times it does. [my current GPU is a 7800XT Nitro+]

When does a 6800XT beat a 7800XT (especially if its a Nitro+)? must be very, very niche and by a microscopic margin if there are any times it does. [my current GPU is a 7800XT Nitro+]
At higher resolutions in some games the 6800 XT is slightly faster (at least, it was in launch reviews) and even beat the Nitro+ on occasion, but it is a moot point really, since you can't buy them anymore (at least, not new). The 6800 non-XT is available for £360ish though, which is decent value.

Not that I'm big into Fortnite :cry:

Jumps out as a big outlier - I tried Fortnite years ago decided it wasn't for me, then ignored it.

I have 3 of the games on that list - Hitman 3 (though not played it much this year), Hogwarts Legacy that I started just before the Steam summer sale ... before getting distracted by Forza Horizon 4 that I bought in the summer sale, and for the last couple of weeks also Forza Horizon 5 (that runs on extreme settings at 120fps at 1440p and uses something like 92% of the GPU performance to get there).

Jumps out as a big outlier - I tried Fortnite years ago decided it wasn't for me, then ignored it.
Here is a list for TPU's launch review: BFV (1440p/4K), Doom Eternal (All), Dying Light 2 (All), Guardians of the Galaxy (All), Hogwarts (All), Mount & Blade (All) and Witcher 3 (All).

The 6800 XT has more shaders, texture mappers and ROPs, but if that is responsible or just a lack of optimisation in the launch drivers, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom