Iiyama X2377HDS

Associate
OP
Nice, maybe we should have made a new thread with a LG IPS235V title just to let others know about this monitor. Looks good, if a little small next to your 28" Hanns G. I know it is very hard to see how much better the colours are next to another monitor when using a camera and then i am viewing it on my dodgy monitor but the LG seems to look a lot darker to me, is this how it seems in real life?

Are there any dead/stuck pixels you can see?
And, does this monitor tilt down slightly as i actually sit a little lower than my monitor?
Do you think the blue power light is very bright? (and annoying like my very bright blue LED power light on my DGM monitor)
What connection did you use seeing as you have a dual monitor set up?

Yes, suppose it could go in a separate thread but people will end up here when they search. Anyway, up to the mods to decide.
Been busy working all day so haven't really been able to do any testing, but to quickly answer your questions:
- it is not really much darker than the Hanns G. Maybe a little bit but that is probably more accurate. Everything looks much sharper in any case. Whites are actually proper white, much better than on my other monitor, where they have a yellowish tint.
- yes, the stand is decent, better than the Hanns G one, and you can tilt the monitor forwards and backwards.
- the blue light is not very bright. It certainly doesn't disturb me but that will vary from person to person I guess
- I have a GTX 570 video card with 2 DVI outputs so I just used the second slot with a DVI cable
- I cannot see any dead pixels but then again I still need to do a proper test

Some other observations:

-text seems very sharp and crisp compared to my Hanns G, where everything is a bit fuzzy
- the menu is very easy to use, much better than the Hanns G, where it is guess work what to press.
- the monitor is attractive to look at and had I not bought the Hanns G, I'd be happy to use 2 or maybe 3 of these next to each other (although at that price it probably makes more sense to cough up for the Hazro)

Will play some Battlefield 3 tonight to see what the gaming is like. Quite impressed with everything so far, especially given the low price point. I can imagine it may be lacking in certain fields in detailed reviews to come, but for my use it's a lot of bang for the buck. Ideally I'd have a 27 incher with a 2500 x 1600 resolution but I can't afford that so this is a good combination for me at the moment.

Associate
Thanks for letting me know FlyingPig and i am glad you are happy with the LG. I thought about saving some more money for a 27" Hazro but in the end i decided i don't need the extra screen space as it will probably mean i will have to move my head to see the whole screen rather than just my eyes. Enjoy.

Associate
OP
No problem, let me know when you get yours and post back with your impressions. Unless I am overlooking something very blatant this monitor should become a big hit if the price remains like this, I would think.

Soldato
By the way, the monitor came with a "Display Quality Assurance Report". Is this standard practice for IPS screens?

No it isn't standard practice but is something LG specifically noted in their press release material for the IPS5 series. If those calibration targets are indeed met then that is excellent and thumbs up to LG. :) And thank you for posting your impressions - but for anybody thinking that there isn't much difference I don't think the comparison shots will do this much justice as it depends on the camera and the viewer's own monitor. But I am sure you already knew that ;).

Associate
OP
No it isn't standard practice but is something LG specifically noted in their press release material for the IPS5 series. If those calibration targets are indeed met then that is excellent and thumbs up to LG. :) And thank you for posting your impressions - but for anybody thinking that there isn't much difference I don't think the comparison shots will do this much justice as it depends on the camera and the viewer's own monitor. But I am sure you already knew that ;).

Thanks for the link PCM2, hadn't seen the official promo talk yet.
Yes, the provided pictures are just "for what it's worth" and have limited value I suppose (taken with a Samsung Galaxy S2 camera) but I suppose they can give an initial impression.
I hope you can get your hands on one of these soon PCM2 and review it properly. I would be very curious to hear other people's opinions about this monitor.

Associate
No problem, let me know when you get yours and post back with your impressions. Unless I am overlooking something very blatant this monitor should become a big hit if the price remains like this, I would think.

I think when i receive my monitor i may make a new thread to let other forum users know about it but i am also not an expert. I would not want to tell people that the monitor is very good if it is not compared to others. As i mentioned above, my current monitor is a DGM 24" which is is old and knackered so i can only compare my new monitor to that.

Also, i just noticed the price has gone up by a whole £1.68 and is now £129.99

Come on PCM2, get hold of one and give us your review. ;)

Soldato
I have contacted LG about this. As I said in another thread they were reforming the way their monitor reviews are handled earlier this year and it turned into a chaos that I didn't want to be a part of. But hopefully things have calmed down now. ;)

Associate
should be recieving one of these today for my sons computer...so will be having a test of it before handing it over :) Looks good...how does it do for gaming?

Associate
OP
should be recieving one of these today for my sons computer...so will be having a test of it before handing it over :) Looks good...how does it do for gaming?

Do you mean the Iiyama or the LG?

I played some single player BF3 on the LG yesterday and it was fine. I actually had it playing next to my Hanns G 27.5" so I could compare directly. It looked a bit darker but to my eye there was no ghosting at all. I still prefer the sheer size of the Hanns G for gaming as it is simply more immersive.
Watched a whole DVD on it last night and while it was a good experience, I had some misalignment every once in a while. Not sure what the term is for this, but basically it's how the top part of the screen is out of sync with the bottom part for a split second (which I believe Vsync aims to prevent in games). I hope it was just the (downloaded) DVD medium so I need to see if I have the same issue on my other screen, in which case it is due to the disk (ISO image) and not the screen. Other video so far has been superior on the IPS screen.

Associate
I'm looking for a new monitor and after reading this thread I'm very interested in the LG ips235v, but looking at the LG web site, it say's the response time is (ms)14 :eek:

I could not find a response time for the ips236v, it's just not listed in the spec's.

http://www.lg.com/uk/common/compare/products-compare-result.jsp?CatID=8154&BURL=%2Fuk%2Fit-products%2Fmonitors%2Findex.jsp

I would be interested to hear from people that have bought this monitor and what they think of it for gaming, as this is what I will be using it for. Before this monitor came up, I was looking at the Samsung S24A350H.

Associate
OP
I'm looking for a new monitor and after reading this thread I'm very interested in the LG ips235v, but looking at the LG web site, it say's the response time is (ms)14 :eek:

I could not find a response time for the ips236v, it's just not listed in the spec's.

http://www.lg.com/uk/common/compare/products-compare-result.jsp?CatID=8154&BURL=%2Fuk%2Fit-products%2Fmonitors%2Findex.jsp

I would be interested to hear from people that have bought this monitor and what they think of it for gaming, as this is what I will be using it for. Before this monitor came up, I was looking at the Samsung S24A350H.

As far as I know the response time on the 235 model is 8ms, not 14.
I have yet to play games online to see if this is any factor but I have always been of the opinion that unless you are a competitive player, response times are overrated, unless you are talking about times like 15-20ms or so. My crappy internet connection is probably causing me much more problems than any input lag I could ever get from a screen.

I'll get back with some more feedback about gaming soon, I hope, only had the screen for a day and too busy with work.

From this review: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/monitors/1287670/lg-ips235v
Thanks to high contrast ratios, the display produces deep inky blacks and bright brilliant whites, bringing out all of the detail in any scene. With its 8ms response time, we found that games were smooth and didn't suffer from any noticeable problems, such as ghosting.

Soldato
I've ordered one of the IPS235Vs to go alongside my 24" Samsung 245T, which has an excellent S-PVA panel.

It will be interesting to see how the two compare.

Associate
Down to 125GBP today... When are OcUK going to stock the LG and at what price point?

Yes I noticed that to, they also say the response time is 5 ms and it has a 3 year warranty? I thought it was a 2 year warranty, can any one who has one of these confirm how long the warranty is for? And the response time as this information must be in the manual.

Associate
OP
Yes I noticed that to, they also say the response time is 5 ms and it has a 3 year warranty? I thought it was a 2 year warranty, can any one who has one of these confirm how long the warranty is for? And the response time as this information must be in the manual.

The response time is confusing indeed, and it is not actually mentioned in the manual. I uploaded the English PDF of the manual here for anyone interested.

Screenshot of specifications below:

LG-specs.jpg

On their website it clearly says 14ms, http://www.lg.com/ie/it-products/monitors/LG-led-monitor-IPS235V.jsp

If that is true that may be an issue for gamers. For me, I couldn't care less (and I'm a casual gamer).

Not sure about warranty to be honest, was an impulse buy :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Manufacturers are often quite good at miscommunicating things and other websites make this worse by reporting bits and pieces of incorrect info. And so the cycle continues.

Just to clear up the confusion - the panel itself is rated as a 14ms part but all members of the IPS5 series (IPS225V/T/P, IPS235V/T/P) feature pixel overdrive on top of this which is rated at 5ms (as it was with the previous IPS6 and IPS1 series monitors). Ignore the actual figure as it gives little away but do note that it features grey to grey acceleration and hopefully will perform more like the 22" members of the previous series than the 23" members in practice. I have confirmed with LG that the initial press information given here was and is correct (see the table).

Associate
OP
Thanks PCM2, as always the voice of reason :D
So, in other words, technically it is 14ms but because of some magic abracadabra post-processing the input lag is still not too bad in practice?

Associate
Do you mean the Iiyama or the LG?

I played some single player BF3 on the LG yesterday and it was fine. I actually had it playing next to my Hanns G 27.5" so I could compare directly. It looked a bit darker but to my eye there was no ghosting at all. I still prefer the sheer size of the Hanns G for gaming as it is simply more immersive.
Watched a whole DVD on it last night and while it was a good experience, I had some misalignment every once in a while. Not sure what the term is for this, but basically it's how the top part of the screen is out of sync with the bottom part for a split second (which I believe Vsync aims to prevent in games). I hope it was just the (downloaded) DVD medium so I need to see if I have the same issue on my other screen, in which case it is due to the disk (ISO image) and not the screen. Other video so far has been superior on the IPS screen.

The LG I meant.

Got it today. First impressions..its good for the price. No dead pixels...very little backlight bleed.
I gamed on it for a bit and had no noticable ghosting both in NFS Shift and BF3. Movies looked good.
One thing I thought with it being an LED screen...that it would be very bright. I didnt find this at all...actually a lot duller than my own old FP241W 24" Benq csreen which is a P-MVA panel I think. I would like the LG to be brighter. Only other gripe is stand is a bit meesly and wobbly...but I guess for the money you cant complain to much.
Its now back in the box and away for an xmas present.

Associate
OP
The LG I meant.

Got it today. First impressions..its good for the price. No dead pixels...very little backlight bleed.
I gamed on it for a bit and had no noticable ghosting both in NFS Shift and BF3. Movies looked good.
One thing I thought with it being an LED screen...that it would be very bright. I didnt find this at all...actually a lot duller than my own old FP241W 24" Benq csreen which is a P-MVA panel I think. I would like the LG to be brighter. Only other gripe is stand is a bit meesly and wobbly...but I guess for the money you cant complain to much.
Its now back in the box and away for an xmas present.

Yes, it doesn't go very bright indeed, which may well be the one disadvantage sticking out. It is fine for me but I need it at 100% brightness whereas my Hanns G would make you blind and needs turning down to 40%.
Another thing I just discovered is that if the blue power notification bothers you you can actually turn it off completely, which is handy.
Can't really complain for the money, ideal second monitor for me.

Associate
Manufacturers are often quite good at miscommunicating things and other websites make this worse by reporting bits and pieces of incorrect info. And so the cycle continues.

Just to clear up the confusion - the panel itself is rated as a 14ms part but all members of the IPS5 series (IPS225V/T/P, IPS235V/T/P) feature pixel overdrive on top of this which is rated at 5ms (as it was with the previous IPS6 and IPS1 series monitors). Ignore the actual figure as it gives little away but do note that it features grey to grey acceleration and hopefully will perform more like the 22" members of the previous series than the 23" members in practice. I have confirmed with LG that the initial press information given here was and is correct (see the table).

So is overdrive constantly on then? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom